Boost caps? Worth running? Going to lithium soon also.

Anybody with any knowledge on Maxwell boost Caps or XS power super caps? I would like to hear it from the horse's mouth. Are these worth the cost and are they worth using? I can get banks for $200 used with basic hardware. Any help would be awesome. Thank you

19 minutes ago, realflow100 said:

I'd spend the money on upgrading the wiring and alternators and battery instead but thats just me.

caps only really do anything if your doing huge burps of power for short periods of time like one or two seconds

otherwise they are just not doing much of anything.

I have 2/0ga throughout. 100% ofc. A singer 320 and a Mechman 320 alternator also. 640amps total alternator power and switching to Lithium soon. LTO cells. Just wanna do everything and anything I can to make my electrical as stout as possible. I'll be trying to clamp around 12k at least. I want long demos at idle if need be. 

I think supercaps are a great tool to buffer between alternator charge voltage and battery voltage.

Just DO NOT FORGET TO BALANCE THEM!!!! Shoot me a PM if you need help with that or need clarification on what it does / why you need to do it.

And then this for how it behaves on music. This was prior to the nice SMD VM-1 so it's just on a corny digital display. Relevant time stamps are 0:25 and 3:00 without and with an 850 farad bank installed, respectively

3 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

I think supercaps are a great tool to buffer between alternator charge voltage and battery voltage.

Just DO NOT FORGET TO BALANCE THEM!!!! Shoot me a PM if you need help with that or need clarification on what it does / why you need to do it.

And then this for how it behaves on music. This was prior to the nice SMD VM-1 so it's just on a corny digital display. Relevant time stamps are 0:25 and 3:00 without and with an 850 farad bank installed, respectively

How much power? Alternator, amps and batteries? Thank you for the videos. Significant difference with the caps. 

TBH I don't remember. This one was a while ago. It was after I went to 14v, but before lithium.

Alternator would have been either a 270a or a 390a. Amp could have been a 3.5 or an 8k. I think it was a 3.5k and 270a but don't hold me to it

6 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

TBH I don't remember. This one was a while ago. It was after I went to 14v, but before lithium.

Alternator would have been either a 270a or a 390a. Amp could have been a 3.5 or an 8k. I think it was a 3.5k and 270a but don't hold me to it

Now you're running strictly lithium? I think a big enough lithium bank might be enough. 

I've done and ran every combo possible....Alt + agms....alt+agm+Lithium...alt+agm+lithium+caps...Alt+Agm+caps ...Alt+lithium+caps ...and Alt+caps ...Alt and caps gave me the best results .....current setup is 2 Singer 370 hairpins and 14 banks of maxwells....voltage drops only about .5 demoing 3-4 songs in...burps drops only .2 ....setup is 2 sundown NSv4 18s in a 6th order on 2 sundown SCV7500s at .5 each ......with good Alt and enough banks you'll be set 

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

I ran 2 xs 40ks and 2 banks of their caps.

A pair of 270 amp alts was able to keep up with 14k of rated power.

Started at 17.1 and dropped down to 15.8 after a while. I think that the buffer between alts and batts with caps helps it drain down more steadily.

Had a buddy with a very similar setup to mine and he would drop 17.8 to 15 flat with no caps.

May or may not mean anything tho with the setup difference we had

1349713160_rte.png

Archived