Sonic Electronix

setting gains which 40Hz tone do I use

I have 2 tezla 1.5 12’s in a 05 4 door duramax on a tezla 4k amp full big three upgrade and all w stock alternator. And a ts power td 160 amp on all the interior speakers they are all Db drive wdx series. With a Sony xnv 660bt head unit. I tested my headunit and have a clean wave on scope at a 0Db 40Hz tone at 46 on volume. And using a -5Db 40 Hz tone to set sub gains by. My question is would I be louder tuning with a -2.5 or a -7.5 tone? Subs stay cool and never no hot feel or smell and even on the hardest hits voltage stays above 11.8 is the lowest over seen. My box is tuned at 30 Hz as well. And plus when I go full tilt I have flex city going on I need some good recommendations for sound deadener.

thanks

The more negative of a number the higher you will be able to set your gains. 

Think of it as the quieter (more negative) of a test tone you send to your amp the higher you have to adjust the gain to reach clipping.

ie -7.5 is “louder” than a -2.5 or -5 dB track

I use dynamat but secondskin is another great brand. Avoid the cheap knock off brands they are not as effective as thicker deadener so you’d need more to achieve similar results

Is Hushmat any good ? I’m gonna take my headliner down and tac weld some bracing in the top and use some panel bond on all the joints. And the shop where I get my stuff said they used the Hushmat in their competition van so I was just wandering on that. I listen to a lot of Dj slow n throw and dj russticals and I think their stuff is recorded to -7.5 Db I think is what he said. I have it tuned to a -5 tone now and I think it is right at 53volt and any higher I start to see distortion. So if I go to a -7.5 or a -10 tone I can get a little more out of it ya think ? Or would ya stay conservative 

tune according to what you listen to is what i'd say. If you start to smell or hear something wacky turn it down. Some amps have clip lights on the bass knobs those are a nice feature to have for daily rigs with large volumes of songs recorded at different levels. But if you know your only going to play this or that tune with that then. 

I've never used hushmat but seems like they have had success with it. I'd look up reviews and prices, compare to the shop you go to. 

Thanks for the insight there is a few songs I’ve came across that plays lower than what I think my setup is capable subs really get to slapping sound like they bottom out on some super low notes I just avoid going full tilt on those songs. Think I could cure that with turning my filter up some ? Or should I just avoid the ultra low lows? One of the songs it does this on is ganja man I think it gets down to around 18Hz. And another is the low note on bass I love you that’s the two I notice it on. I know with the box tuning I’m at I can get pretty low but that seems a bit much for my setup

If you feel like its bottoming out you could use the supersonic filter on your amp. 20 something hertz should be fine. Some don't even use it though so up to you.

Archived