Second Skin Audio

Perfect Kerf

So recently i did my first kerf w Birch on a box I built for my buddy. I think it turned out pretty good considering the only other time I've only done it is w MDF. I did notice a few differences tho, one of which the kerf lines were more noticeable. I lightly sanded it when I was prepping for stain, but didnt wna take it down too far either... Ive looked at few examples online n it's on par w most of em I think, but theres a few that are a notch above the rest.

Is there a way to get a smoother transition like those guys?

I know practice and experience will help, but ld like to shorten the learning curve a bit and save a few sheets of wood in the process. Thanks!

Did you cut the kerfs on a table saw or with a handheld circular saw?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2 minutes ago, DiBo said:

If you don't want lines you have to use the home Depot Birch. The 5ply kind as opposed to Baltic. It kerfs way cleaner. No lines at all. 

See I was afraid to use that bc it seems like the last cpl of plys needed to be untouched to keep it stronger. All I ever saw was people using Baltic birch 😕

2 hours ago, MyNameIsNoob said:

That has a nice clean curve. I see you used both 

Baltic for strength and home Depot for a cleaner kerf. Take it down to about halfway through the last ply. Then sand it clean. You have to put a big 45 over the whole kerf afterwards and it won't have any stress on it whatsoever. Good luck. 

Archived