Sundown Audio

My amp wont come out of protect

josephj86

First step:

Disconnect EVERYTHING from the amp. Check wiring. Grab a multi meter and verify grounds are grounds, and that your 12v side is in fact 12v, not 24v or something.

Then wire up only power and turn on. No RCAs, no speakers, no remote knob. Check once more that power is your power, and ground is your ground. Pay close attention as they're not always symmetrical.

Now, check the voltage of the case on  your amp between case and any reachable ground. It should be zero volts. If it's 12v or something, you might have some amp goblins (small wire strands) bridging somewhere. Pop it apart, clean the thing out, and try again. Theoretically that shouldn't happen and you'd start blowing things up if that were the case. But hey, stranger things have happened; no?

If everything above checks out, and the amp is in protect with exclusively power/ground hooked up - something went bad in the amp. Replace or repair.

If it's good so far, then ohm out your speaker wires both to themselves to verify wiring, and to ground to make sure they're not pinched in the chassis somewhere (not sure how you're wired or where they're routed if this is even feasible)

Note: When hooking up an amp, hook up ground FIRST.

18 minutes ago, josephj86 said:

Thanks snowdrifter I think it's the amp then because I've done all that I'm getting 12.8v from pos wire I've left the amp unhooked for 4 days then tryed it again but still the same results 

This was with a load not present? AKA the speaker wires removed ?  Hell, pull the rca's also. It stays in protect, even no incoming or out gowing load? If so, very likely the board has failed somewhere. Best of luck goin forward.

Archived