Sonic Electronix

Hello this fits in a few categories so I figured I'd just post it here. But any way I switched from 2 p3 12's in a prefab box to a American bass HD 15 in a custom box. I'm currently running a punch 1000bd on stock electrical besides a deep cycle battery up front. So what would you guys recommend for a amplifier for the sub (dual 2 ohm) and do you think adding another battery in the trunk will be enough to get away with not doing the big 3 or bigger alternator due to my car being a pain in the ass for this

another battery wont do much except when the voltage under load drops below 13v most car batteries rest around 12.6 to 13.1v when freshly charged and the alternator keeps them full at around 14 to 14.8v

so if your alternator only gives out 100 amps for example. but the amplifier wants 200 amps. the voltage will drop down and start taking current from your batteries. and you wont get full power to your amp and subs no matter how many batteries you add.

so it would be better to upgrade your alternator and wiring first. then add batteries later. if you can.

if the amplifier draws 100A go for a 200A alternator or even 250A alternator. and upgrade your wiring to support the bigger alternator.

if you go for more batteries instead of an upgraded alternator you might need a bigger amplifier to be able to draw the power you want at the lower voltage and so it makes the voltage drop even lower. drawing more amps from your batteries. further compounding the power loss making you need even more batteries/bigger batteries

9 minutes ago, realflow100 said:

another battery wont do much except when the voltage under load drops below 13v most car batteries rest around 12.6 to 13.1v when freshly charged and the alternator keeps them full at around 14 to 14.8v

so if your alternator only gives out 100 amps for example. but the amplifier wants 200 amps. the voltage will drop down and start taking current from your batteries. and you wont get full power to your amp and subs no matter how many batteries you add.

so it would be better to upgrade your alternator and wiring first. then add batteries later. if you can.

if the amplifier draws 100A go for a 200A alternator or even 250A alternator. and upgrade your wiring to support the bigger alternator.

if you go for more batteries instead of an upgraded alternator you might need a bigger amplifier to be able to draw the power you want at the lower voltage

Not a bad answer for a FNG. Not bad at all. 

Only thing I could really add is what type of vehicle that’s “a pain in the ass” to upgrade ???

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

7 minutes ago, Mosley_23 said:

2013 Buick Regal gs 

Easy to upgrade. Google it.

6 minutes ago, realflow100 said:

Whats an FNG?

SMD “Fucking New Guy” 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived