Total System Planning Help

4eye4valve

New member to the forums. I hope I’m posting this in the correct place.

Ive had a few systems in the past, but they were all about lows and how hard they could hit. This time around I want to focus on sound quality. I’m having some problems deciding on proper equipment.  

Here is a list of what I’m planning to install.

1986 C10 Regular cab truck.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit. (Have)

MTX Thunder 204 bridged for mids/highs (Have)

Rockford T2652-S 6.5” component set. 

Rockford R12001D Mono amp for subs

2 Rockford 10” P3 DVC 4 ohm in sealed box.

Do any of you see any obvious red flags with this equipment list? I listen to a lot of hard rock, metal, grunge, etc. 

Will the component set be enough for front fill and sound stage? Should I have more speakers?

The components will be mounted high on the doors together. And the subs behind the seat.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a few pieces of equipment that your about to install.

Same headunit same 6.5s and use to have a pair of RF P3D4 12s only in a ported box not sealed.

Headunits great for going active but I wish you could have more adjustment in the crossovers. You can't say put your LP or HP filters on a specific freq. only preset ones - lame. Besides that no issues, +1 or +2 source level on blue tooth iOS, clips at 62. 

RF T2 components (I have the aluminum set) they come alive off my RF P600x4 active but I kinda want more on some songs with heavy bass. Sound amazing on Pink Floyd and War to name some. I've listened to a little rock / metal on them sometimes like Led Zep, ZZ Top, Metallica, and Primus (oo do they sound good). Quality wise, solid choice, but sometimes the output is not as loud as I want. This also might be from only having the single pair of T2's with no rear speakers but I actually enjoy the sound only in the front instead of coming from behind via the rear deck. With you having a smaller cabin than me you probably will get all the output you need from a pair of T2's.

My P3 12s were great for hip hop/rap but also could be decent on other genres like rock/metal. Sealed you probably will get better response and a punchier hit with those tens I'd say your set on that department. 

Refresh my memory. 86 chevy have dash speaker locations ?? My 84 did (never put Audio in that truck) 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

8 hours ago, White Lightning said:

Refresh my memory. 86 chevy have dash speaker locations ?? My 84 did (never put Audio in that truck) 

There are speaker locations in the dash, 3 1/2” I believe. And a center location.

There are also a set of 4X10 speakers in the cab corners. I had no plan to use any rear speakers as I’m under the impression they are not needed.

14 hours ago, 4eye4valve said:

There are speaker locations in the dash, 3 1/2” I believe. And a center location.

There are also a set of 4X10 speakers in the cab corners. I had no plan to use any rear speakers as I’m under the impression they are not needed.

Ahh yes, If My memory serves me correctly, you have to remove the actual dash vinyl cover to actually get to the left and right driver locations. But ... Well worth the hassle to get a pair of large format tweeters in those stock locations !!! Remember, the primary "Sound Quality" goal is to have music up and out on your dash.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

46 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

Ahh yes, If My memory serves me correctly, you have to remove the actual dash vinyl cover to actually get to the left and right driver locations. But ... Well worth the hassle to get a pair of large format tweeters in those stock locations !!! Remember, the primary "Sound Quality" goal is to have music up and out on your dash.

That is correct. The fronts are 3 1/2. 

Only issue is almost all of the replacement dash pads do not have the provisions for the speakers.

Would it be worth it to surface mount a set of speakers on the dash firing up toward the windshield? What speakers would you recommend? 

Would I need another amp to power them?

Thanks.

If it was mine, I’d do the tweets on the A-Pilars and the mids in the kicks. Never was a fan of the ole 6/9s in the doors thing ...

Don't forget the high-quality  American made Sound Deadening to maximize the system!!! 

WWW.SECONDSKINAUDIO.COM 

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

3 hours ago, White Lightning said:

If it was mine, I’d do the tweets on the A-Pilars and the mids in the kicks. Never was a fan of the ole 6/9s in the doors thing ...

Do you feel a single set of 6.5s in the kicks and a set of tweeters in the pillars will be enough to fill the cab with sound?

Anything as far as a midbass driver or anything else needed?

Really appreciate the responses. I want to get it right the first time.

Archived