Second Skin Audio

80-250hz

2 and 3 way are the correct way.  

And if you dont know what that device is, you should be telling up were wrong because i knkw what it is

Make this easier on yourself and listen to people that know what theyre talking about

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look man, don't get butt hurt because people aren't telling you what you want to hear.  

There are a couple things you need to understand about this place.  There is a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience here.  The vast majority of members (including myself) are going to genuinely try to help you.  Sometimes helping a person takes the form of telling them they are doing it wrong when they can't recognize that for themselves.  

38 minutes ago, MinistryMan said:

I'm glad there are some out there that get it. If a 2 way, or 3 way works for you guys, that's great. Put some power on it. Fortunately, there are some manufacturers out there that understand sound. Can anyone explain the purpose of this piece of equipment, and others like it?

https://smile.amazon.com/DS18-XM6LD-Crossover-Subwoofer-Control/dp/B01HGOXOIW/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=5+way+active+crossover&qid=1555699763&s=gateway&sr=8-2

The purpose of that piece of equipment is to separate a fool from his money.  Products such as that are like fishing lures.  Fishing lures aren't designed to catch fish.  Fishing lures are designed to catch a fisherman's money.  

If the way you want to do things was as superior as you seem to think it is then there should be plenty of easy to find examples of well-performing systems that were designed that way.  An absence of examples of systems like that should tell you something.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

27 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

2 and 3 way are the correct way.  

And if you dont know what that device is, you should be telling up were wrong because i knkw what it is

Make this easier on yourself and listen to people that know what theyre talking about

I know what it is. This component is used to divide your signal into 6 different channels so that you can amplify a driver, or set of drivers within 6 different frequency ranges which proves my point. You may feel that it is too complicated to do a 4 way sound system over a 3 way...smh, but that doesn't make it incorrect. However, I appreciate all your suggestions and care for my car audio desires. From what lil bit I could gather here, an 8 inch driver would be best suited to fit my needs. I was in-between an 8 inch, and a 10 inch. I am going to purchase to 8's and cross them at 80hz and filter them at 250hz. I will probably go with Skar Audio VVXv3. or ZVXv2 which was suggested to me by the techs at Skar who understood what I was looking for in my quest for loud, clear sound reproduction. Skar is one of the few manufacturers that label all their drivers operating frequency ranges. I was looking at a set of SoundQubed 8's because they fit my power level perfectly, but unfortunately the frequency range spec is not listed and the tech did not know them. Have a great day, and turn it up!

I would think a 3 way setup accompanied with subs would be optimal for sound quality and simplicity. However, most only go for a 2 way setup and subs since that is 1. cheaper 2. easier 3. passive crossover friendly 

I have never heard of a 6 way setup with subs ( 7 way essentially) seems like a mess to setup, let alone tune !

Also aren't crossovers not exact points? they have roll offs do they not? so I fail to see how having all those sets of frequency ranges require so many speakers when at the end of the day it is going into a vehicle and not a 100,000 sound room with special walls that are optimal for sound to travel to an observer. 

again why 7 when you could have 3 with a sub???

8 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Look man, don't get butt hurt because people aren't telling you what you want to hear.  

There are a couple things you need to understand about this place.  There is a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience here.  The vast majority of members (including myself) are going to genuinely try to help you.  Sometimes helping a person takes the form of telling them they are doing it wrong when they can't recognize that for themselves.  

The purpose of that piece of equipment is to separate a fool from his money.  Products such as that are like fishing lures.  Fishing lures aren't designed to catch fish.  Fishing lures are designed to catch a fisherman's money.  

If the way you want to do things was as superior as you seem to think it is then there should be plenty of easy to find examples of well-performing systems that were designed that way.  An absence of examples of systems like that should tell you something.  

Butt hurt? lol. No I'm not butt hurt, and I appreciate the time everyone has taken to correct me. I have always been one to learn anything the hard way. I want a 4 way system, and a 4 way system I will build. I know there is a lot of experience in car audio here. This is why I came here to ask my question. My question was fairly straight forward. What size driver should I use to amplify the bass frequency range of 80-250hz. The best answers I got for this was an 8 inch driver, and for this I thank you all. To tell me I am wrong fro building a 4 way system is like telling me I am wrong for putting salt on my watermelon. It is simply a matter of taste, or hearing in this case. There are tones that I want to hear over others, and specific drivers amplify these tones better than others. But again, I thank you for taking the time to comment and\or instruct me. Hopefully, this build will not blow up in my face. Have a good 1

12 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

I would think a 3 way setup accompanied with subs would be optimal for sound quality and simplicity. However, most only go for a 2 way setup and subs since that is 1. cheaper 2. easier 3. passive crossover friendly 

I have never heard of a 6 way setup with subs ( 7 way essentially) seems like a mess to setup, let alone tune !

Also aren't crossovers not exact points? they have roll offs do they not? so I fail to see how having all those sets of frequency ranges require so many speakers when at the end of the day it is going into a vehicle and not a 100,000 sound room with special walls that are optimal for sound to travel to an observer. 

again why 7 when you could have 3 with a sub???

Clarity, and power. For me at least. after amplifying speakers that cover a wide range of frequencies, I have noticed how muddy the sound gets as I turn it up. Now, it could just be that I have purchased cheap speakers. Which is entirely possible. Skar isn't the greatest quality I suppose, but it is what I have purchased. As I stated in my original post, when I turn up the volume on the 6.5's they begin to rattle at frequencies lower than 250. I want the midbass, and I am getting some 8's to play it. I will have the entire audible frequency range covered with a 15" sub (20-80hz), 8" (80-250hz), 6.5" ( 250-3khz), and super tweets (3khz-20khz). I understand some are saying other speakers may cover certain ranges better than others. Without doubt. You can spend 1000's on full range drivers that play all the whole audible frequency range. But I have what I have. The DD1 and CC1 will ensure that I tune them properly.

Having that much frequency differentiation between drivers, would I be correct in assuming you're going for an SQ build?

Too many drivers can actually make things way WAY harder for tuning. Some of the best setups I've heard were 4 ways. Sub, midbass in the door, then a ~3" midrange and tweeter on the A pillar. I'm not sure how much you'd have to gain by adding more as you'd spend all your time fighting phase shift / cancellation due to crossover behavior.

To answer your question, 80-250 is generally well covered by a 6.5" or 8" shallow mount sub

4 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

Having that much frequency differentiation between drivers, would I be correct in assuming you're going for an SQ build?

Too many drivers can actually make things way WAY harder for tuning. Some of the best setups I've heard were 4 ways. Sub, midbass in the door, then a ~3" midrange and tweeter on the A pillar. I'm not sure how much you'd have to gain by adding more as you'd spend all your time fighting phase shift / cancellation due to crossover behavior.

To answer your question, 80-250 is generally well covered by a 6.5" or 8" shallow mount sub

Yes, I am going for SQ. Your crossover point is very correct. I have purchased a phase meter, and a CC1 to ensure proper tuning. I had not considered a shallow mount sub, but it makes sense as I sit here pondering the rapid shift in the higher bass frequency range. The specs on the Skar 6.5 PAX said that it could cover this range, but the application says differently. They got a rattle in them lower than 200 or so.

Archived