Second Skin Audio

80-250hz

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

And youre also wanting 8s. 

Yes for rear right and rear left.  So that's tweets for front, 6.5's for mids or center,  and 8's for rear, and a sub channel. Correct. Tweets HPF at 3k, 6.5's crossed at 250, LPF at 3k, 8's crossed at 80, LPF at 250, sub LPF at 80. Fairly simple. My question all this time has been what driver to use for midbass. As I said, I couldn't make my mind up whether to use 8's or 10's, so I shouted out. From those who understood my question the general consensus seems to be 8's, so I'm gonna take a shot, and go with Skar VVX or ZVX.

1 hour ago, MinistryMan said:

Some of the comments on this thread have amazed me...smh. I got a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has a real nice factory system. It has 2 tweets in the dash, 2 mids in the front doors, and 2 midwoofers in the rear doors. If I added a subwoofer to that system, no one would have anything to say, but if I want to build a system like that myself, its stupid, unnecessary, or can't be done. Amazing.

Most of the chrysler vehicles I've worked on actually fill the front dash with 3" midrange drivers (excluding the wrangler and various other high road noise vehicles), crossed somewhere around 400hz+, this successfully lifts alot of the vocals ect on your dash and would be considered a two way system, not a single tweet anywhere as the front dash fills what it can. 

I have an RTA, Oscope, Clamp meter, volt meter, phase meter, SMD DD1, and CC1. I hope that I can install and tune an active system with these tools. My head unit has a time alignment feature, 10 band equalizer, 3 5v pre-outs for front, rear, and sub. I'm dividing the front channel with some y adaptors for the 4 channel amp, running the 8's off the rear channel, and the sub off the sub channel. The head unit has built in crossovers for each channel which will allow me to bandpass the 8's to achieve the desired crossover range, and the CC1 will allow me to set my LPF correctly. The CC1 also allows me to set the subsonic and LPF on my SKv2 200.4 amplifier to bandpass the 6.5's between 250-500hz. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about here. But hey, I really appreciate whoever among you it is that is really concerned about whatever suffering you are trying to save me. Means a lot to me, especially considering this is how I live my life.

These are all just tools, you need some of these tools regardless of how good or bad your vehicle sounds to you, as they may or may not help but will NOT determine the actual outcome. Most of these tools alone cant dictate your real time frequency response at the ear, you need a working understanding of acoustics ect to successfully use them.

No, my dilemma here was in choosing a driver that I could amplify loud enough to not drown out my other speakers, yet feel that bass in my nose...lol. I guess if I get too much power I can always turn it down...lol Fat chance of that tho. I got this problem of not being able to turn it down. I'm still deciding between a 10 inch sub, or 8 inch. I really don't want to have to buy another amp. I already got around 3k in this sytem. I have a 1200 watt amp that I can use, but matching that to a set of 8's has been difficult. So far my best choice for 8's is PSI. They can build them exactly the way I need them. !0 inch speakers really suit my power needs much better. This dilemma is what pushed me to reach out. I don't have any experience with 8's or 10's, so I shouted out asking what the best driver for this range was. I really wanted to go with Skar, for the above mentioned reason of having the same brand and series components. I could replace my HCCA 152 with 2 VXF series, or 1 DNR at some future point. If I get Skar 8's I will have to get another amp, and to be honest, I'm starting to get that look from my wife..lol I'm betting someone here knows that look. At any rate, I thank all of you for your time, concern, and input.

Alot of good advice in this thread, the main concern though is sound is subjective to the user. we can't really tell you what you should like, we can only help direct you to your goal in the least stressful way possible.

19 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

So you wont have anything up front playing lower that 250?

Tweets only up front in the dash facing the occupants. 6.5's will be in the center of the truck in the front end of the console I am building, about knee height. If it works out, the 8's will be at the back end of the console, at elbow height, and the sub behind the passenger seat. I may trade the HCCA out. Idk yet.

17 minutes ago, MinistryMan said:

Tweets only up front in the dash facing the occupants. 6.5's will be in the center of the truck in the front end of the console I am building, about knee height. If it works out, the 8's will be at the back end of the console, at elbow height, and the sub behind the passenger seat. I may trade the HCCA out. Idk yet.

Sounds like the 8s will be in the center of the vehicle which is not correct.  But give it a go

On 4/19/2019 at 4:27 PM, Skullz said:

The K.I.S.S. rule applies more than ever in complex audio systems, and there are reasons car manufacturers use oval speakers in a system to cover as broad a range as possible. 

I once thought about multiple drivers in a setup as your wanting to try, but quickly ran into issues with crossover points where you could have holes and peaks and driver issues themselves. A single driver is the xanadu people have sought to achieve for decades without success.

This is it. Some of the best systems literally can be a 2 way front and sub. A large format tweeter or tweeter with the ability to play low. I would try to find something that will pay 2500 or lower. A good quality midbass that will pick up from the tweet down to 80. Finally a sub pick up from 80 down. I would say a 3 way if you have the ability to tune. Lately I see the trend of people adding a bunch of drivers and especially 8's and 10's. A lot of cases they are using pro audio stuff to get loud, but they dont play low. Pick good quality drivers even if they are raw drivers you piece together and you will be amazed at the SQ and simple system can put out

Archived