Second Skin Audio

Almost done - Thanks for the help guys!

First I wanted to thank everyone for their .02 while i was redesigning this set up and others for the invaluable info Ive gotten this last month.

Just got my buddy's music installed in his truck this weekend n wanted to share. This isnt the best pic, but when he gets his wire terminals and new RCA's delivered, will be finishing it up asap... still needs bedliner on anything not birch, a panel to cover the lower frame its mounted to n longer RCA's so we can put the top on the 6x9 panel/ amp rack.

Heres a few pics I took along the way, but will post the finished product soon as we both have a free day. 

Tell me what ya think.

9716.jpeg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here are a few pics I took along the way.

The blueprint. 8.24 ft3 net / 30.3 hz / 136 in2 port area.

Getting it all mocked up, checking measurementd before glue

This is the battery / fuse compartment accessible from driver side rear door

Prob 300 pilot holes x 3 layers... This is what happens when your router and jigsaw are inoperable at the same time... That was fun. 

Everything double walled, triple baffle and 45's in all corners getting closer

I didnt care for this part of kerf, so I decided to reinforce it w fiberglass. Never kerfed birch (only MDF), but i always enjoy the learning process.

2 skim coats of Rage to fill the low spots in fiberglass.

180 n ready for primer

Had to piece together the 6x9 panel with leftover wood from the old amp rack, but with a lil planning n alot of measuring, it worked out ok

Got it glued n smoothed, ready for primer

20190420_231200

Close up of the insert between 6x9s

3 coats of Red Mohagany and 4 coats of polyurethane. I really like how this color looks over Birch

20190423_120149

3/4" Bevel. Because square edges are boring.

Besides the other 6x9s, this is where we stopped for the night. 

We still have some work to do. Everything will be birch and black bedliner. The top of 6x9 panel / amp rack matches the box. His RCA's are a bit short tho, so we cant put that on yet bc they are draped over the box at the moment. Other than that we ran out of 0g terminals to plug into fuse box and are putting a second run of 0g from front to back.

But the good news is, we got it playing before he took it home n this thing goes deeep. Soon as we link up to finish (maybe this weekend?) I need to adjust all his settings, but it sounds real good even w it all dialed back. Sundown def got 2 new fans

52 minutes ago, BassMunky said:

Is that 6x9?

Unfortunately, yes. I tried to talk him into none in rear and put more focus up front. I'm modifying his door panels to fit 2 sets of 6.5 components, so now's the time, but hes stubborn and only wants loud. He heard a car w a wall of 6x9s in the 90s n still cant seem to get past it.  smh

15 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

That red mahogany is gorgeous man

Thanks. Yea, I'm painting his truck a deep candy red this summer, so we wanted to complement it, but I'm almost wishing I saved that color for my own truck lol

17 hours ago, MyNameIsNoob said:

Unfortunately, yes. I tried to talk him into none in rear and put more focus up front. I'm modifying his door panels to fit 2 sets of 6.5 components, so now's the time, but hes stubborn and only wants loud. He heard a car w a wall of 6x9s in the 90s n still cant seem to get past it.  smh

Money learning experience he will change his mind when he hears loud and clear.

Shakin not Stirred....my buildhttp://www.stevemead...ngle-cab-build/412 CVX

And put a sealed enclosure in your trunk cut a hole in your deck and call it ported :lol2:

41 minutes ago, BassMunky said:

Money learning experience he will change his mind when he hears loud and clear.

One day maybe... I've tried to make him aware of things like staging, imaging and overall balance, but it doesnt get thru bc all the dudes around him in his ear... My Veloster sounds pretty good n gets loud considering I only have 2 Crescendo PWX, 2 FT1's, a 4" Polk center channel and a single HDC3 12. I explained the dsp, speaker placement and soundproofing is more important, but... lol

Archived