Second Skin Audio

Newer sub keeps smoking?

Zrafferty

I have an Orion 2500d with a set of 4 power acoustik gothic gw3-10 1kw rms

2 of them are from a batch from release date and still work as day 1(ran mainly at .5 ohm). I bought another set so I could wire them for 1 ohm to reduce electrical load)

The 2nd set before wiring all 4 I installed just the 2 new ones at 2 ohm to break them in worked fine. I then installed all 4 after 3 month one of the new subs smoked and got it warrantied.

Another 2 months went by and then the sub I got warrantied got smoked as well. I bought another cause company wouldnt warranty the sub. 

I installed the one to replace warranty sub with 1 original 2nd set and then then the new one smoked again.

Is there a reason only the freshest subs getting burnt and smoking and old ones are playing fairly? 

When last one blew it hasn't even been 2 months

How do u have your gain set?

All all the subs in individual chambers in the box or separate chambers?

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

How exactly are they wired?

Each sub wired in series and then in parallel?

Or

Each sub in parallel and wired in series?

I always wire each sub in series and then parallel, so each sub sees power at the same time.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I have had everything double and triple check after first one blew. 

My gain are set via dd1. And subs are in separate chambers 

It's a set of Orion double shot boxes

For subs I have each box setup at 2 ohms via

Subs parallels then series together.

Then each box to it's own terminal on my amp(dual speaker thermal mono block amp

Please verify resistance with a multi meter for each box. Then touch the leads together on your multimeter and post all 3 readings here

As if right now got 3ohm on 1 coil and 2.2 on the other(the sub that got smoked)

I had it wired to 1.33ohm with all when first setup smoked on when I installed them which amp is rated for 2500@1ohm.

2nd time wired at 2.2ohm with only 2 subs hooked up (2nd batch with new warranty) amp rated for 1700@ohm

Running stock electrical with big 3 upgrade using 0 guage. 2nd battery Optima yellow top gp78

Archived