Second Skin Audio

Small and shallow subs

I know theres no comparison, but if you could only run small or shallow mount woofers (under or behind rear seat of a Tundra) which ones do you think would give the lowest and/ or cleanest response?

I've personally never heard any of the 6.5 subs out there, but based on the shallow mount subs I've heard (not impressed by any so far) seems like (6) 6.5's would do better than (4) 8" SHALLOW subs?

Size and number doesnt matter as long as theres no sacrifice in airspace.

Whatcha think?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I run 2 DD shallow 10’s , Sound great on rock music can’t really hang with rap but I didn’t have a choice, Also ran 1 Skar audio SD-10 and think that sounds better then the DD’s. Gonna replace both DD’s with Skar shallow mounts next. Wish I would’ve known this sooner the DD’s were $300 each and the Skars are like $60 each. Don’t know if the Skars will handle my 1200 watts though.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Just bought some Sundown SD-3 10’s in Sundown yard sale gonna beat the shit out of them and I’ll let you know how they do. $55 bucks each had to get em.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

On 4/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, ToNasty said:

For me id run audiomobile evos 8s or 10s

Not much info on their site that I can see. Any idea what the power handling is on those?

23 hours ago, Ron36 said:

Just bought some Sundown SD-3 10’s in Sundown yard sale gonna beat the shit out of them and I’ll let you know how they do. $55 bucks each had to get em.

No doubt. At 55 each that's worth a try. Curious if those go lower than the others I've heard... I've only listened to more mainstream shallow brands like Polk, Pioneer, Alpine n Kenwood so I cant say I've got much to compare to. Love to know how those do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 2:32 PM, Ron36 said:

Did you get a chance to hook up those subs n play w em a bit? 

Yes sorry about being late , I can post pics tomorrow they hit way harder then the DD subs I’m very impressed so far. Worth the money. Sundown has never let me down.

So I ran outside quick and here’s the subs and amp.

783B39D0-24BB-41F6-AE7A-4DD63B47C9CF.jpeg

B2A7A697-B8ED-4DAB-AD22-3ECE90632CD6.jpeg

0B3D84AB-66A8-4922-9039-3B202761859C.jpeg

Archived