Second Skin Audio

4th order/more control over subs?

rsfm089

As of right now i am running two dc xl m2s on 2 aq s1 2250s. My box is 20X16x32 i think. (its snowing) I lose control over the cone when there is quick changes from bass  tones almost like it is bottoming out. This happens at all different tones.  First thing is i got a different vechical and have a ton more room.(suv) Would going to a fourth oder help with this?  Amp is set with a dd1 and no clipping. The other question i have is there a big sound difference between a ported box and a fourth? And how hard is it to build a fourth order? If there is any other info i can supply to help i can get it. thank you.

Can you tell us more about your setup?  How big is your sub?  What is your box tuned to?  What are the port dimensions?  Do you know what the box net volume is?  

Compared to a ported box, a 4th order bandpass is going to have more output in the 40-50 Hz range, because that is where they are generally tuned, where as ported boxes are generally tuned to the low 30s.  A 4th order BP box will also have more output down below 30 hz since that is where ported boxes begin to unload.  It definitely going to sound different.  They aren't really any more difficult to build than a ported box, however I would recommend you make it so you can change the port specs after you have it built, their performance is more sensitive to their tuning frequency than a ported box is.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

i was trying to look up the post for my box. you actually helped me with the design. But i think it was under jeff146.4. 12 inch subs the box is tuned to 32 i believe. if i could find that post i could tell you the port and volume i will keep looking. also not looking to chase numbers just like loud bass.

@Triticum Agricolam found it.

box net=3 ft cubed 

box gross=5.42 ft cubed

port vol.=1.68 ft cubed

port area=64.13 in cubed

port area per ft=21.36 in cubed

port ratio=1:2.84

tuned to 34hertz 

Hope this helps if nothing else i can just put this box in the new vechical. Just wondering if it would be more efficient to build a new box. The suv is a 2014 dodge journey 

Archived