Second Skin Audio

no distortion or clipping. subwoofers smelling and getting warm.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is your enclosure tuned to around 30 Hz?

Right at the tuning frequency the impedance is at its lowest, so you have the most current flowing through your subs.  Its also a point where cone excursion is very low.  With that low cone movement there isn't a lot of air moving over the coil to keep it cool.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

for me the cone excursion is very low around 50hz area i can put my hand on my sub and my hand is completely still.

it draws a lot less power though around 50hz. even with my low pass filter turned off just to test it. still draws more power at 30hz for some reason and i dont know why. it moves more at 30hz than at 50hz. so something is really wonky with my subs or the box or something if it behaves like that.

also the bass output drops tremendously below 50hz.

from distorting my voice trying to talk over it. to "ok i can hear it but its not loud at all." at 40hz and below its not very loud.

for some reason 23hz is almost as loud as 50hz but 25 to 40hz is quieter. then around 17hz it gets loud again! and I dont have any weird equalizer turned on on my computer or anything.

50hz is like MEGA SUPER LOUD but below 40hz its like meh unless i stand in a corner of the room far away from my sitting position then i can hear it more but its still no where near as loud as 50hz

What are the specs on your box?  Do you have any pics of it?

I would verify what your tuning frequency is.  You can do this by playing sine wave tones while watching/feeling the cone movement.  The frequency where cone movement is the least and move increase if you increase or decrease the frequency from that point in your actual tuning frequency. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Lol... this guy... :Doh:

He has a prefab he "modified" to "30hz" by extending the second portwall or something then stuffing polyfill in there... at least that's how I understood it.

https://www.caraudio.com/topic/600900-mtx-terminator-dual-12-subwoofers-vented-box-smelly-voice-coils/

He sure expects a bunch from a starter subs in a hacked prefab on some kinda amp powered by some kind of Psu.

Sorry Op... I thought I'd try to clarify what you're working with.

OP, I really think you should rip all of your equipment down to its components and start fresh and proper. It seems to me you continually run into genuinely bizarre issues in a set up that is arguably both overly complicated and half assedly modified. When seeking help, half of the information is presented, leading to a very difficult time actually assisting in troubleshooting your issues.

It would be quite worth your time to stop half rigging stuff and spend some time and bones doing something properly. It's both simpler, and less expensive in the long run. Don't succumb to the sunken cost fallacy - there comes a point where you can't gold plate a turd. Get yourself a plate / DJ amp, and a proper box.

I fussed around with things similarly when I was younger. Trust me when I say it ain't worth it. Run the appropriate equipment for a given task.

Like they said your impedance changes at different frequencies I’m sure that the box is tuned well above 30 which also will have I’ll effect also music is dynamic so one song may be at -3db one may be at -5db and the same song can flux, with the loudness wars now some songs even peak at 0db. The tweeter method works but only gets you in the realm of where you want to be you need to know your system and your source and dial in if you want to be loud all the time and if you want to be safe get a 0db test tone set the gains with a dd1 and back off the volume knob and you won’t ever have to worry even if your giving them extra power in a proper box but it seems you have many factors working against you.

2012 Kia Soul

Infinity reference 6.5's  Coaxials 

2x Soundqubed HDS312 @ 32hz (hdx312 waiting on alt)

1x Skar Audio RP-2000 (deaf bonce 4k on floor waiting on alt)

1 x Northstar group 35 front

1x Nortstar SMSAGM220 rear (have a second one waiting on alt)

0 gauge Sky High OFC

BIG 4

I removed the modifications to the box since they didnt really do anything except make port noise

and I cant afford a DD1 I just set the gains as best as I could

and I checked the tuning and its gotta be around 45 to 50hz maybe 50hz thats where it moves smallest amount. 

i dont know why it still draws the most current at 30hz though

already set it with a 0db test tone at 30hz since thats where it draws the most power. and I could actually hear the distortion at 30hz so i lowered the gain until theres no distortion on both subs. but at 50hz its too loud to hear any distortion so i cant use a 50hz tone

the box is really small airspace probably only like 1 cubic feet at best per sub. not even close to 2 per sub.

so with my small amount of power and low power subs they are overheating being unable to cool themselfs?

54 minutes ago, realflow100 said:

I removed the modifications to the box since they didnt really do anything except make port noise

and I cant afford a DD1 I just set the gains as best as I could

and I checked the tuning and its gotta be around 45 to 50hz maybe 50hz thats where it moves smallest amount. 

i dont know why it still draws the most current at 30hz though

already set it with a 0db test tone at 30hz since thats where it draws the most power. and I could actually hear the distortion at 30hz so i lowered the gain until theres no distortion on both subs. but at 50hz its too loud to hear any distortion so i cant use a 50hz tone

the box is really small airspace probably only like 1 cubic feet at best per sub. not even close to 2 per sub.

so with my small amount of power and low power subs they are overheating being unable to cool themselfs?

If it is tuned to around 50 hz, that would be why its the loudest there, your output is going to drop off fast below that.  Also, your cone excursion is going to increase rapidly.  Playing 30 Hz in a box tuned to 50 is just about sure way to destroy your subs.  From what you and others have said, at the very least you need to build a new box. 

Builds:

Archived