Second Skin Audio

no distortion or clipping. subwoofers smelling and getting warm.

they barely move a quarter of an inch at 30hz

they only start moving about a half an inch around 20hz

and around 17hz at full volume they are moving really hard but still not even reaching close to mechanical limit yet.

they move more when sealed at 30hz vs ported. 

not even close to mechanical limit around 30hz. i'd have to give them 2x rated power to even get them MOVING at 30hz

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dimensions are weird because the rear of the box is slanted. and on both sides of the box its indented about 1/4 to 1/5 an inch

the port is on the right side of the box and goes along the back wall of the box. with the slot port ending behind the left subwoofer not visible from the front. but its visible from the side of the box.

the OVERALL product dimensions is 

29.5 x 13.5 x 14 inches but i dont know if it takes into account the slant on the rear of the box its almost exactly the same size as the sealed model with the same subs

subwoofers MTX2 - Copy.jpg

So with those dimension, assuming 3/4” panel thickness, you are at 2.4 cu ft gross volume. Subtract port and sub displacements and you end up with even less.  You are way below the recommended net volume for those subs, and from it sounds like, tuned way too high. 

Due to the high QTS of those subs they are going to be in a box that’s on the larger end of the spectrum, the opposite of what you have. Before you worry about anything else I would suggest building a proper enclosure and see if that fixes your other issues as well. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I found an enclosure on amazon tuned around 31hz to 34hz and with 1.8 cubic feet per sub/side looks like the best one im gonna get and not too expensive either.  its only 78$ from amazon. the reviews all say 31 or 34hz which is exactly what i want. and all the reviewers are thrilled with the box

it'd cost way more to get all the tools and glue and stuff to build one myself and I dont have money for even the cheapest jigsaw or table saw right now. and i dont know where I would even order one it'd probably cost even more to get a custom one made within my extremely budget price range of under 100$

48 minutes ago, realflow100 said:

I found an enclosure on amazon tuned around 31hz to 34hz and with 1.8 cubic feet per sub/side looks like the best one im gonna get and not too expensive either.  its only 78$ from amazon. the reviews all say 31 or 34hz which is exactly what i want. and all the reviewers are thrilled with the box

it'd cost way more to get all the tools and glue and stuff to build one myself and I dont have money for even the cheapest jigsaw or table saw right now. and i dont know where I would even order one it'd probably cost even more to get a custom one made within my extremely budget price range of under 100$

Are you willing to step outside your comfort zone a little bit?  

You can build a box with just a jigsaw and a straight edge. Here is a jig saw for $22

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BDEJS4C-Jig-Saw/dp/B016100EIK/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=jigsaw&qid=1556577498&s=gateway&sr=8-5

A sheet of MDF is about $30. $5 for glue and you are still $20 less than that prefab. Cost is not going to prevent you from building your box, a box that will be much better than that prefab. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I dont trust myself even 30 feet from a saw and i dont trust myself even the tiniest bit to do it right on the first try. i have nothing to work on either. no good work space. no garage. it'd just be leaving wood chips and saw dust all over the carpet. every room has carpet except the kitchen but theres not enough room in the kitchen and i cant make room either.

Didnt read all pages. 

Warm? Who cares. Your smelling the cheap glue. Coil smells different. 

Warm? Let it eat till the caps are so hot. You cant touch them... then play em full tilt for another hour. 

Over thinking and over worried. Warm,.. means nothing. Your putting electricity through a resistive bunch of windings. 

The very nature,  is off putting of some heat. Period. 

Archived