Second Skin Audio

no distortion or clipping. subwoofers smelling and getting warm.

7 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

So with those dimension, assuming 3/4” panel thickness, you are at 2.4 cu ft gross volume. Subtract port and sub displacements and you end up with even less.  You are way below the recommended net volume for those subs, and from it sounds like, tuned way too high. 

Due to the high QTS of those subs they are going to be in a box that’s on the larger end of the spectrum, the opposite of what you have. Before you worry about anything else I would suggest building a proper enclosure and see if that fixes your other issues as well. 

idk what is recommended but would he be able to poly fill/line the interior of the the box or is it too off spec.

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, deathcards said:

idk what is recommended but would he be able to poly fill/line the interior of the the box or is it too off spec.

Polyfill doesn't work for ported boxes like it does for sealed boxes.  If you polyfill a ported box you just kill all the output out of the port.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

5 hours ago, realflow100 said:

I dont trust myself even 30 feet from a saw and i dont trust myself even the tiniest bit to do it right on the first try. i have nothing to work on either. no good work space. no garage. it'd just be leaving wood chips and saw dust all over the carpet. every room has carpet except the kitchen but theres not enough room in the kitchen and i cant make room either.

You can always build outside.  
Where are you located at?  There may be someone local to you who would loan you/let you use their tools.  We are talking about a box that would take an hour to build.  

The Amazon prefab should be better than what you have, but it still is a pretty big compromise.  In my opinion you will just be wasting $80 to go from a box that is terrible up to a box that is poor.  Its your money though.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

im at a huge apartment complex. its a really bad bad neighborhood. like gangsters going around everywhere doing drugs. shooting guns into the air driving by like idiots people screaming at night its really scary so i stay inside pretty much 24/7 unless im going to the store to get groceries or pay bills and stuff.

i just ordered that subwoofer box enclosure since i couldn't find anything else even remotely as good looking except for ones that cost twice as much that i cant afford

I also ordered some extra heavy duty rug double sided tape its like duct tape but more tacky so should hold up my foam panels better too plus i get a whole entire roll to use. im going to put 3 big strips the long way on all 4 panels to make sure they dont fall down

Well I hope it works out for you man. I’m afraid you just threw good money after bad. 

Builds:

box just arrived. its freaking awesome. my subs go so much louder now and deeper. they hit hard down to like 22hz very loudly. 

super awesome bass and good box. no port noise! and if i want a little bit less bass i can unhook one sub and just use the other side because they are in separate chambers!

I took the volume knob out (its in series with the RCA's going to the amp) and ran it directly then re-adjusted the gains. now they dont smell anymore when I turn them up but i have to turn my head unit up a lot and my computer volume down to turn the subs down so i really need a better solution.

my idea is getting that rockville 4000W amplifier since it comes with its own dedicated volume knob and should be much more reliable since it connects internally to the amp and not in series with the RCA's

should I go for it the next time I get some money? it looks like an amazing deal amp for just 129$ on amazon! plenty of clean power and overhead power for the price

1 hour ago, realflow100 said:

I took the volume knob out (its in series with the RCA's going to the amp) and ran it directly then re-adjusted the gains. now they dont smell anymore when I turn them up but i have to turn my head unit up a lot and my computer volume down to turn the subs down so i really need a better solution.

my idea is getting that rockville 4000W amplifier since it comes with its own dedicated volume knob and should be much more reliable since it connects internally to the amp and not in series with the RCA's

should I go for it the next time I get some money? it looks like an amazing deal amp for just 129$ on amazon! plenty of clean power and overhead power for the price

This is for use in your house right, not in a car, correct?

Get one of the cheap Behringer pro audio amps for $150-$200.  Its a way, WAY better solution then trying to use a car audio amp in house.  Its one thing to use an amp you already have, but to buy a car audio amp for in home use is just an awful idea.  

Builds:

I cant afford something priced that high. 129$ is already pushing it.

my subs are rated 250W RMS each at 4 ohms per sub. so i'd need either a 4 ohm stable stereo amp rated 250 watts RMS per channel or a 2 ohm stable mono amp 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms

in maybe 2 months though I'll be getting a pair of dual 2 ohm 12" skar audio IVX 12 V2 D2 subs to replace my current subs.

Archived