Sundown Audio

Mosconi Amp - BS?

Qwiz

Ahahaha thanks man. I was thinking about that too, about the fact I may have been exagerating.

That thing though, being parked vs driving, remains still a mistery. Has nothing to do with the perceived "distorsion".

Aside from this, what are the major factors which influence an amp to begin clipping? Theoretically it's built in such a way that with its Gain set to max should output a clean sine wave. That is not the case in most setups and I was wondering, which are the ain factors that influence an amps set Gain potential? Assuming you are having a clean HU output

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gain is there to match the output of the source unit. Lets say you have an oem heanunit. Nkst likely the gain in the amp will be higher.  Aftermarket headunit that has higher output voltage most likely the amps gain will be lower

Hmmm interesting.

This Mosconi 240.2 has the Gain knob netween 0,4 V and 8 V. The higher the gain is set, the lower the Voltage on the Knob becomes. My present Headunit has 2V max Preout and that would mean Full Volume Without the DD-1 or osciliscope I cannot tell when or if this 2 DIN Pioneer a200 distorts.

So how could I match these two the best way without a distorsion detector? I have now set it up to about 60% Gain. With this setup I go at max 33/40 Volume and everything sounds good to my pure astonishment recently. Somehow it hits how it should hit. One other thing I have noticed is that after a few good bass head songs, I notice a little bit of burn smell from the box from the sub. This JL Audio 12w3v3 is one month old and I broke it it long enough may I say.

This sub requires 49 litres recommended volume ported. At first I had it in a 60 L and it smelled back then too but I changed the box eventually, got this exact 49L from JL ported. After a few songs though it still smells a little bit and I was wondering if that is normal.

Edit: it plays ok now like I've mentioned, doesn;t clip, so I wouldn't think it stinks like that because of a potential clipping factor

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The Headunit was changed to Pioneer 80PRS. With the Mosconi 240.2 the sound improved, but still not quite.

The 240.2 was changed today with the JL RD 1000/1 and My Goodness. Huge Difference.

My hands will be off Mosconi for the rest of my life.

Have a nice day y'all.

I think you were over driving the mosconi amp, and under powering the sub.  You more than doubled your power with the jl amp, so I'm not surprised at all that you saw a significant difference.   I'm not sure I'd blame the mosconi for all your troubles though. 

7 hours ago, paidnfull said:

I think you were over driving the mosconi amp, and under powering the sub.  You more than doubled your power with the jl amp, so I'm not surprised at all that you saw a significant difference.   I'm not sure I'd blame the mosconi for all your troubles though. 

What do you mean exactly by over driving the amp and underpowering the sub ? The Mosconi 240.2 is rated 680W RMS @ 4 Ohms, 12w3v3 500W RMS. How would you tune this setup having an 80PRs deck and no O scope or DD-1? Then again, how would you tune the same system, having the JL rd 1000/1 instead of the 240.2?

7 hours ago, ToNasty said:

You most definetely did something wrong if you think the jl sounds better.  

Yes.

Now I have a new problem lol. This CP112 ported Box I have from JL is 1.75 ft3 and tuned to 28Hz, which I don't like at all I realized.

Everything up to 37 Hz plays ok, everything else is sounding very weird so yeah life's good.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2019 at 5:10 PM, Qwiz said:

Ahahaha thanks man. I was thinking about that too, about the fact I may have been exagerating.

That thing though, being parked vs driving, remains still a mistery. Has nothing to do with the perceived "distorsion".

Aside from this, what are the major factors which influence an amp to begin clipping? Theoretically it's built in such a way that with its Gain set to max should output a clean sine wave. That is not the case in most setups and I was wondering, which are the ain factors that influence an amps set Gain potential? Assuming you are having a clean HU output

This is the root of the problem.

You understand enough to be confident and start messing with things. But don't understand enough to know what your actions are really doing.

No amp is built in "such a way to let the gain be maxed out and not clip"

That is literally the way you clip an amp. Gain all the way up.

What the other mrnverxwas saying about overdriving and underpowered sub is this, your amp is not big enough to give the sub all it's rated power, so you max out gain and clip amp, while still not supplying rated power to sub.

Your asking the amp for power it just can't make.

Archived