Second Skin Audio

Portable Bluetooth Speaker w/6.5" sub

Mogal

Hello All, first post.

2 yeaars ago I put together a bluetooth speaker using a TPA3116D2 120w X2 amp and some Rockford 6x8s.

Its powered by a 24v Lipo 6ah battery (Gets a good 16+ hour run time) Its a great speaker box!

I would like to add a Subwoofer to this little setup using a 2.1 Bluetooth amp (50w x2 + 100w Sub output)

The subwoofer I picked up is a DS18 Z6 Elite 6.5" dual voice coil at 4ohm.

Attached picture is a concept of what I would like to make.

Sub volume is a smige over 1ft3 minus port volume of approx 200in3 (port is 1.5x7 x 19ish inches)

Am I on the right track to get the best performance out of this sub? What is it tuned to?

I would like to keep the overall box size and I can shift some of the internal boards to modify sub/speaker/port volumes.

Thanks!

Chris

Speaker Concept.jpg

Hello again.

Question, what would sound better, the design I currently have, or instead of the port pictured, use one of the tapered round ports?

I found this port tube "Yibuy 100mm Black Plastic Speaker Port Tube Subwoofer Bass Reflex Tube for 6.5 Inch 8 Inch Speaker"

I'm looking for sound quality. I have no idea how to calculate the frequency with this one.

Thanks.

51TQ+bdsHjL._SL1000_.jpg

Hello, thank you.

I actually have that round port in hand. The center (narrowest) portion of the throat is 57mm. The other measurements shown are correct.

Is it the area or the volume of the port that is needed to calculate the frequency?

The rectangular port, I have an area of 10.5sqin with a length if 19in.

The small diameter of the tube is 9.25sqin and the larger one is 14.75sqin. the throat is  roughly 4sqin. Length is 6.3in.

I understand the round ports are more efficient, but I do not understand all the variables involved, I'm not sure how it all compares.

Sry, still learning!

If you have an android phone you can download "Ultimate Car Audio App" to enter all your specs into. It's fairly staightfoward and pretty dang accurate. Port area and length and box volume determines your tuning frequency. 

I wouldn't use that aero port for a subwoofer. I think it's more for a midbass application in a home theater. The length and area are too small.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to follow up with the Portable Sub Box.

Overall happy with the look and sound from this thing. I'm still working on the wiring, but I have it up and running.

There are a few cosmetic flaws with the covering. I would have redone them if I had more material, but I don't :(

Another issue is the common BT static issue at lower volumes. (So I just turn it up!)

VERY HAPPY overall! 👍

20190718_070720.thumb.jpg.ded9ca01013deb7ed7a2d6201d143317.jpg

20190718_070746.jpg

Archived