Second Skin Audio

Single Sundown x15 - How to get lots of air movement?

1 hour ago, Kyblack76 said:

Odd,.. adjusting the loading wall, lowered our "low" peak. ( Pushed it back) ( Psyclone competing)

(4th order)

(  )

That's for a wall setup. He's inquiring about a single sub enclosure. Making the sealed side larger achieves lows also. Forgot to mention that lol

7 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

The problem with an aero port is there is no way you are going to be able to get it long enough to tune below 20 Hz and still have enough port area.  Totally impossible. 

If you want to try a 4th order band pass box I can crutch some numbers for you when I get home.  

Ah ok makes sense, I tried making a square port and it seemed like it needed to be super long for 20hz also. I just want to be able to play down to at least 14hz, but most songs are around 19hz that I use. The car will be dropped off some time tomorrow so I will get some measurements for the max size I could fit in the car, its a pretty small car but I have the entire rear to work with minus some room for batteries and amps. I've always wanted a 4th order or a series 6th order, but don't have the knowledge yet to try and design one myself. It's a lot of work to build a box and seal it off to the front cabin, so I want it to be right the first time. Just shoot me a PM if you get a chance, I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

6 hours ago, DiBo said:

The port on a 4th order is for the higher frequencies. You usually tune to around the mid-forties. If you are trying to play really low I would tune to around 36-38 to play under 18hz. you don't get your Lows from the ported side Lows come from the sealed side. 

Oh I didn't know that, I figured a large vented section would be for the lows and highs are from the sealed section. Most of this is new to me, I just want to be able to move as much air as possible. Not really concerned about SQ as much, I know ill have to sacrifice some of the high end to play that low.

2 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Odd,.. adjusting the loading wall, lowered our "low" peak. ( Pushed it back) ( Psyclone competing)

(4th order)

(  )

This is literally gibberish to me haha

39 minutes ago, DiBo said:

That's for a wall setup. He's inquiring about a single sub enclosure. Making the sealed side larger achieves lows also. Forgot to mention that lol

I wouldn't mind building a wall, sealing it off, then having the rear of the car for the amps and batteries. Its a VERY small area i'll be working with. So in the end it might end up having to be a wall.

1 minute ago, DiBo said:

Kyblack is legit. That's not gibberish at all. Dude has the hardware to prove it. Just a FYI

No no, I meant to me it's gibberish. I should have worded that differently.

9 hours ago, jcody_parker said:

Ah ok makes sense, I tried making a square port and it seemed like it needed to be super long for 20hz also. I just want to be able to play down to at least 14hz, but most songs are around 19hz that I use. The car will be dropped off some time tomorrow so I will get some measurements for the max size I could fit in the car, its a pretty small car but I have the entire rear to work with minus some room for batteries and amps. I've always wanted a 4th order or a series 6th order, but don't have the knowledge yet to try and design one myself. It's a lot of work to build a box and seal it off to the front cabin, so I want it to be right the first time. Just shoot me a PM if you get a chance, I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

So on 2000 watts it would be a bit easier to make a ported box work, if you want to give one a try.  Since that's not crazy power, you can make the box larger.  To have output down to 14 hz I would suggest tuning to about 17 hz.  Output is going to drop off fast below tuning and due to the way sound frequencies work 14 hz is a lot farther away from 17 Hz than it seems.  Its twice as far away as 29 Hz would be from 32 Hz, even though the numbers are the same.  

For a ported box, specs I would suggest are 6 cu ft with 60 sq in of port area.  The port area may seem on the low side, but the lower you tune the less port area you need.  Still the port will need to be about 85" in length (exactly how long depends on the layout of the box).  If will be very important that the tuning frequency be accurate, also you MUST have a subsonic filter set to 14 Hz to avoid destroying your sub.  Not a lot of amps can set their subsonic filter that low, if your can't I would definitely avoid a ported box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived