Second Skin Audio

Single Sundown x15 - How to get lots of air movement?

3 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

With that space looks like you could wall 2 15’s Why not that? What amp you have?

Honestly I didn't realize how much room there was, I just went out there and measured the dimensions of the rear area. Just the area over where the rear seats go and not the spare tire compartment, there is 16 cu/ft of free space (not including displacements like bracing, subwoofer, materials, etc).   Dimensions of the area I have to work with over the rear seats  -   36.75"W  x  23"L  x  32.5"H

I figured it would be louder and move more air if i sealed off the box to only the front section of the cabin, but that box will have to be way too big, or i'll have to make a false wall with the smaller box sealed to the back of it.

I'm just looking to spend around $500 on a subwoofer and have been wanting to try and have a single 15 that moves as much air as possible.

The problem I'm having now is figuring out a port design and the dimensions to keep it tuned to 20hz without being too long that it's impossible to fit inside the 6 cu/ft box. I've been trying to do it in WinISD, but the only way to make it shorter is to have a tiny port, or  make it 60" long.

The box in the videos I posted looks so much bigger than 8 cu/ft before displacements. His port also seems pretty big, yet doesn't look like a 60-80" port would fit inside there.

A good clip showing his box size ( starts at 1:04) - 

And his port area - 

Capture.PNG

9 hours ago, jcody_parker said:

So the only way to make a big box with a big port and tune it to 20hz would be to make it several feet in length? I figured there's no "way around it" or something.

I was also looking into these -

https://www.1800woofers.com/crescendo-audio-contralto-15-subwoofer-2500w-rms/

The xmax is 4mm less and the surround is smaller, but the RMS power its rated at is way higher. I haven't read much about these yet, so I'm not sure if it would be a better choice than the x15 v2. I was going to get the x15 because of the giant surround and amount of excursion at really low frequencies. The Contralto also has a DVC 1ohm option, while the x15 has a DVC 2ohm. I've never seen a 1ohm subwoofer before, wasn't sure if it's just for wiring purposes with multiple subwoofers or if it's any better being lower resistance, because they're the same price.

There is no way around the long port, physics has no short cuts.  

Looking at the box in the video, I can easily believe he has that port wrapped around the inside of the box so that is 80" long or whatever.  I bet that's the case.

As far as which sub, you are going to want lots of Xmax in case you ever want to give the 4th order bandpass a try, I'd stick with the Sundown X-15.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

53 minutes ago, DiBo said:

You don't need a 80" long port. That's extreme. You also don't need the tune anywhere near 20hz to get windy. Tune to maybe 28hz in a ported enclosure and play down to 25 with authority. 

I totally agree with you, if moving air was the priority, 

The OP isn't just looking to get windy though, he wants to be able to play down to the mid teens so he is going to have to tune lower.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

26 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

I totally agree with you, if moving air was the priority, 

The OP isn't just looking to get windy though, he wants to be able to play down to the mid teens so he is going to have to tune lower.  

I think maybe he thinks he needs to tuned in the teens to get that extra low end. It's going to sound horrible if he does. Your we correct about the extra long port to tune extremely low but sheesh... That'd be crazy if he did. I would never tune under 25 for any reason!! In my opinion also, 4th orders are to achieve upper frequencies. If it's low lows he wants and still wants to be any kind of musical... Gotta tackle that 6th order beast. Jmo

7 hours ago, DiBo said:

I think maybe he thinks he needs to tuned in the teens to get that extra low end. It's going to sound horrible if he does. Your we correct about the extra long port to tune extremely low but sheesh... That'd be crazy if he did. I would never tune under 25 for any reason!! In my opinion also, 4th orders are to achieve upper frequencies. If it's low lows he wants and still wants to be any kind of musical... Gotta tackle that 6th order beast. Jmo

The main reason I want to tune so low is that I just love the feeling of the 14hz - 19hz songs that I have. If I tune to 25-28hz, would I even be able to play them? If i'll get more air movement with higher tuning I'll give it a shot, but I figured it would be more slow type flex & windy at 20hz and below.

Archived