Second Skin Audio

Single Sundown x15 - How to get lots of air movement?

3 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Tuning that low shouldn't sound horrible, I've built several home theater subwoofers that were tuned to the high teens and they sound great.  It just depends on the specs of the sub and getting the box specs correct.  Not all combinations are going to work well, but many will. 

Here is the frequency response of the X-15 in a 6 cu ft box tuned to 17 Hz:
image.png.0e61440c74ab0dbba4d91e8b22451860.png
In my opinion that looks really good!  

Damn!! That's flat as shit. Wonder how it would relate in a real world setup when cabin gain and resonant frequency comes into play? I bet that nice flat wave falls off well before 50hz. Not arguing with you but frequency response graphs can be off quite a bit from application to application. Home audio is a whole other animal also. Tuning that low just becomes impractical imo. You're more knowledgeable than I am ( no sarcasm). Just seems unnecessary. JMO

58 minutes ago, DiBo said:

Damn!! That's flat as shit. Wonder how it would relate in a real world setup when cabin gain and resonant frequency comes into play? I bet that nice flat wave falls off well before 50hz. Not arguing with you but frequency response graphs can be off quite a bit from application to application. Home audio is a whole other animal also. Tuning that low just becomes impractical imo. You're more knowledgeable than I am ( no sarcasm). Just seems unnecessary. JMO

You are right that what you get in real life is often quite a bit different due to things like cabin gain.  Not every sub is going to do as well in this type of application either, though I have heard of big home audio enthusiasts using Sundown X-series subs so its not unheard of to try to get super low frequency output out of them. 

I do agree with you that it isn’t the most practical thing to do and it’s probably not something I’d do for myself. It’s not unreasonable though and it’s what the OP wants to do so I’m going to help him if I can. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

On 5/10/2019 at 2:15 AM, jcody_parker said:

So what exactly is the "air velocity" in WinISD? I can't find an actual explanation anywhere.

That is the peak air velocity through the port. If it gets too high you can get port noise and port compression, which will rob you of a lot of output. 

Generally speaking the lower your port velocity, the better. However it is a balancing act to try to keep your port velocity low without your port getting unreasonably large. 

For port velocity numbers, I like to keep them under 22 meters/sec, but that isn’t always feasible at higher power levels. 32 m/sec is the absolute upper limit. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

What do you recommend doing to move the most air and flex the hardest in the low notes? I made a few projects in WinISD, do any of them look good? Highpass set to control excursion and lowpass set at 60hz for all.

Screenshots - 
https://imgur.com/a/0rLpAch

Black  -  1:1 4th order  //  rear 3 ft3 sealed 38hz  //  front 3 ft3 ported 45hz  //  front port 7"x18"

Green  -  Ported Box 1  //  rear 6 ft3 sealed 20hz  //  front port 8"x8"

Blue  -  1:3 6th order  //  rear 2 ft3 sealed 45hz  //  front 6 ft3 ported 22hz  //  rear port 4"x14"  //  front port 8"x12"  

Red  -  1:3 4th order  //  rear 2 ft3 sealed 42hz  //  front 6 ft3 ported 32hz  //  front port 6"x18"

Yellow  -  Ported Box 2  //  rear 6 ft3 sealed 22hz  //  front port 4"x16"

Made a box in SketchUp for another 4th order I tried to design. Just wanted to get a feel for the program, never used it before. How does this one look?

3 ft3 sealed 38hz // ( with displacements ) 5.7 ft3 ported 42hz // port 4" x 25" - 18" long // 3000 rms

On 5/12/2019 at 8:49 PM, jcody_parker said:

What do you recommend doing to move the most air and flex the hardest in the low notes? I made a few projects in WinISD, do any of them look good? Highpass set to control excursion and lowpass set at 60hz for all.

Screenshots - 
https://imgur.com/a/0rLpAch

Black  -  1:1 4th order  //  rear 3 ft3 sealed 38hz  //  front 3 ft3 ported 45hz  //  front port 7"x18"

Green  -  Ported Box 1  //  rear 6 ft3 sealed 20hz  //  front port 8"x8"

Blue  -  1:3 6th order  //  rear 2 ft3 sealed 45hz  //  front 6 ft3 ported 22hz  //  rear port 4"x14"  //  front port 8"x12"  

Red  -  1:3 4th order  //  rear 2 ft3 sealed 42hz  //  front 6 ft3 ported 32hz  //  front port 6"x18"

Yellow  -  Ported Box 2  //  rear 6 ft3 sealed 22hz  //  front port 4"x16"

For the most low frequency output either the 20 Hz Ported (green) box, or the 6th order (blue) are probably going to be your best bet. 

Builds:

Archived