Proper way to connect front and rear battery

Hi. I need some help on proper way to connect front and rear battery. Im hearing 2 different things 

One thing im hearing is to hook up front pos to rear pos and front neg to rear neg. With 2 fuses near each batt for pos to pos. 

The second thing im hearing is if i have done big 3 upgrade then to just do front pos to rear pos with 2 fuses in place just before the batts and front neg big 3 upgrade to chassis is done and for rear batt also ground to cassis. 

So which way is right? If i have the big 3 done should i omit the front batt neg to chassis and instead do a big 2 and front neg to rear neg instead? Or is it not necessary and just keep it neg to chassis and rear neg to chassis?

Thanks

Pos to pos, fuse near each battery
For negative, you can either run a dedicated wire, or use chassis, or both. Really your choice there. Some vehicles don't seem to cope well with a chassis ground for some reason and require dedicated runs. Only way to see is to test.

If I recall, @AMI CUSTOMS ran into this on his rig.

1 hour ago, SnowDrifter said:

Pos to pos, fuse near each battery
For negative, you can either run a dedicated wire, or use chassis, or both. Really your choice there. Some vehicles don't seem to cope well with a chassis ground for some reason and require dedicated runs. Only way to see is to test.

If I recall, @AMI CUSTOMS ran into this on his rig.

Ok thanks. I guess even tho i have both front and rear batt neg to chassis, for peace of mind ill do a run of 0g between front and rear neg terminals

Btw, is 0g welders pure copper wire good for big 3 and neg and pos battery runs or should i be using only ofc quality wire?

Welding cable is OFC. Perfectly fine. Only real caveat with it is it may or may not have the flexibility of high strand count audio cable. But the stuff is built to spec, heat, and chemical resistant.

Because it's bare copper and not tinned, take care that your cable is sealed appropriately. You should do that anyway though. This is a good use for adhesive lined heat shrink

Ok great will do. I can get welders cable much cheaper than i can 0g audio cable

If i used 0g branded sundown audio cable for my pos to pos is it ok to use welder cable for the neg to neg? In other words is it ok to mix and match diff brands or types of 0g wire for big 3 and wiring up multiple batteries? 

Yup that's fine. Just make sure it's all OFC. Steer clear from the CCA stuff. I know it's an attractive price point but the stuff is garbage

Archived