1986 Supra BOAT system: 4-8" SKAR IX-8, 6-JVC 4" 2-ways, 4-JL 6x9s

Hello everyone!

So heres a quick story on me. I loved this sight when I was 16-18 years old and was on it every single night checking out different builds, and topics just trying to gain as much information as I could. Long story short I went off to college down the road, started studying Mechanical Engineering and running track at the division 1 level and ran out of time for my own builds, and anything fun for that matter. So enough about me, lets get into this build after my hiatus from the sight.

My Project is my 1986 SUPRA boat with a ford 351 v8 (just rebuilt the whole motor and is brand spanking new for this year), Thru-Hull exhaust, wakeboard tower, and much more. 

What I've purchased so far:

-4 SKAR 8" IX-8s. I went with a cheap 8" subwoofer that I can replace very cheaply if something were to happen. My overall goal for this boat isn't for it to be "loud" it is for it to sound very very good.

-6 JVC 4" 2-way speakers for the wakeboard tower rack. 

-1 Hifonics 1250d

-1 Crunch 1000 watt rms 4-channel

Enclosures: (Here is the fun part)

-So like I said, Im finishing school in Mechanical Engineering so I wanted to have a little bit of fun with these enclosures. For the Wakeboard tower, I designed something in SolidWorks and sent cut it out on a CNC Router. Everything turned out GREAT with how everything fit together, and the MDF just looks so clean (even though thats the only wood I could use anyways). Then I will be wrapping and fiberglassing the tower rack in its entirety. Please don't judge, for this is my first real experience with fiberglassing and did it as simple and cheap as possible, its also still in progress.

-For the subwoofers, I'm still in the process of deciding exactly what is to be done there and might even re-do the mounts for all the rear seats of the boat because in my opinion there is a ton of wasted space that isn't necessary, so any input (if allowed) on that is appreciated.

-Ideas, ported enclosures at around 40hz. My last boat I did 2-12s down firing ported  at 38 and it sounded GREAT! Only problem here is they wont be down firing...

Ill attach some pictures, and ENJOY! Any input is appreciated on things to help me, so please give feedback if allowed. Im not very good with the rules of whats allowed and what isn't.

Thanks!

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the one area where Im going to put 2 of the 8's up front, and in the rear Im going to have 2 more 8's each in individual boxes, ported.

spacer.png

Andddddd of course I had to give her a name!

So I'm not sure about the 4" on the tower, what's the reasoning for this? Those are small drivers that aren't going to have much midbass out while your wakeboarding. I built a set of 8" HLCD Eminence drivers for my boat, they worked much better than I thought and sounded phenomenal. Crystal clear while wakeboarding too.

That's a really clean old supra. Cant wait to see how it turns out

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

18 minutes ago, YukonXL04 said:

So I'm not sure about the 4" on the tower, what's the reasoning for this? Those are small drivers that aren't going to have much midbass out while your wakeboarding. I built a set of 8" HLCD Eminence drivers for my boat, they worked much better than I thought and sounded phenomenal. Crystal clear while wakeboarding too.

That's a really clean old supra. Cant wait to see how it turns out

So the lake that Im on 99% of the time is a bunch of rich people who will get very mad at some 23 year old "kid" driving around all the time blasting music for wake boarders. I already know in advance that I'm never going to be just blasting music for wakeboarders, but more playing casual music at the sand bar while we all drink lol. I had 8 of these 4" 2 ways from another project, so I thought id save some money and just use them! They sound great for what I'll be using them for, but do lack that mid bass like you described. Ideally, Id love to have some 6.5" or 8" drivers but then I also run into the problem of people hitting their head on the speaker rack on the wakeboard tower. So all in all, the smaller, less space consuming, cheaper, 4" is what I decided on.

6 hours ago, TeamHirshAudio said:

So the lake that Im on 99% of the time is a bunch of rich people who will get very mad at some 23 year old "kid" driving around all the time blasting music for wake boarders. I already know in advance that I'm never going to be just blasting music for wakeboarders, but more playing casual music at the sand bar while we all drink lol. I had 8 of these 4" 2 ways from another project, so I thought id save some money and just use them! They sound great for what I'll be using them for, but do lack that mid bass like you described. Ideally, Id love to have some 6.5" or 8" drivers but then I also run into the problem of people hitting their head on the speaker rack on the wakeboard tower. So all in all, the smaller, less space consuming, cheaper, 4" is what I decided on.

Ahh well here's to you for thinking ahead and thinking of others. Although it looks like it hangs down 6" or 8" overall anyways. I mounted my 2 cans on the 2 furthest corners to stay out of the middle walkway and I think someone only hit their head once or twice in a couple years Haha. Are you going to stick your other 2 4" inside the boat somewhere?

I'm anxious to see how it all turns out. Be sure to add the waterproof radio remote to the back of the boat, I loved having one on my last boat.

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

2 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

Ahh well here's to you for thinking ahead and thinking of others. Although it looks like it hangs down 6" or 8" overall anyways. I mounted my 2 cans on the 2 furthest corners to stay out of the middle walkway and I think someone only hit their head once or twice in a couple years Haha. Are you going to stick your other 2 4" inside the boat somewhere?

I'm anxious to see how it all turns out. Be sure to add the waterproof radio remote to the back of the boat, I loved having one on my last boat.

Yeah, I'll be putting the other 2 speakers somewhere when I finish the rest of the project. I guess it will probably be the "finishing touch" when I finally finish this thing. The boat has yet to have the amps wired into it, and I'm really thinking hard about how to organize the back end of this thing. For this being a mid engine boat, I want as much weight in the rear, so I want to keep the batteries in the rear. That means Ill have to have two separate sub boxes with the batteries in between them, but somehow covered up because its underneath the rear seat. 

As for the wireless remote, I cant believe I never thought of that.. Would you mind posting a link to a specific one that you have experience with?? Thank you!!

Tuned in, love the boat and love what you've done so far, looks GREAT!!!

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Quick update on the speaker rack for the wakeboard tower. Been very busy with finals this week, hoping that on friday I can completely finish the rack and get the amps wired into the boat! Up next, Sub boxes!

Ill ive done from last time is add the mounts where i connected some exhaust clamps which will hold the rack on the tower. I really didnt want to spend $60 PER CLAMP so thought I could get away with some stainless exhaust clamps to add the the tower. Might have to add some sort of rubber between the tower and the clamp, but ill figure that out later. Wrapped the back, and put on some bondo with the kitty hairs. Still need to add more bondo and sand everything but just thought Id throw some pictures up while I had a free second. 

Would love some thoughts on the rubber on clamp issue, and some ideas for the sub boxes as to what I should port them off and how many cubes I should give each sub for this open air type set up with it being a boat.

Thanks!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 2 months later...

You could try to use a think heat shrink on the u bolt side, and maybe a piece of 1/8" rubber or neoprene on the metal bracket side. Probably your best bet.

05 TL build log SOLD

Archived