Sundown Audio

2 Questions: amp power and distortion

RobertK

1)  500watt amp at 2 ohms.  Wouldn't 1- 500watt 2 ohm sub be louder than 2 - 4 ohm subs wired to 2 ohms? ( IE: 500x1 or 250x2)

2)  For poor people like me, is there a way to detect distortion from the head unit while running the 40 and 1000 test tones before setting the amp gains?  Like with a multi meter, or maybe oscilloscope app on phone?

Haven’t people used a tweeter to detect distortion ? Not saying it’s better than a scope or dd1 but it is cheaper 

1. Honestly it depends. 2 drivers has a surface area advantage. But box, suspension, driver efficiency, motor force all play a role.
2. If you're in a pinch, at least for the head unit, distortion at 1khz is fairly easy to hear. Lower notes, less so. Can set it a few ticks below where it audibly clips at 1khz. Just mind that where it distorts from the RCAs will generally be different than the internal amp. On the amp side; you have a couple options. Option A is to play a square wave tone full blast, gain cranked, measure the voltage, then convert to RMS and set accordingly with a multi meter. Option B is to hook up a tweeter with a high pass filter and use that to detect clipping, which will have an audible indication through the driver. That being said, and I cannot stress this enough, a DD-1 or oscope is really is the appropriate tool for this task.

3 hours ago, CrackFactory said:

Ya. This is where I first saw it. 

This doesn’t find distortion Tony explained what’s happening not sure in the comments or Facebook post can’t remember..

I had I skar v-10 d4 on a single jbl gtx 500   it was great  I bought another skar vd 10 and yes it hit better with the larger surface area and at 4ohms I figure 300 rms x2  it was louder  

I bought another jbl gtx  and I really enjoy the pair its not a big step on the 2nd amp but it makes more feel and a little longer life for the pair as I learned where it starts to taper off and stopped clipping

made a build easier to do   when I upgrade the jbl pair some friends will get a nice set up cheap

it was nice to see the increases along way

I was clipping them bad at first but I used the mm method to get my set points and my ears for the rest not perfect but even "tuning" cant guarantee no clipping  its still up to the user

Archived