6.5s vs subwoofer cancellation?

akuma4u

i usually have my sub and mids/highs crossed over at 100hz sub and 100hz mids/highs. both at -24db slopes

My mids/highs consist of 2x 6.5s in the front doors and 2 tweeters.

Today i noticed that if i bumped the HPF on the highs/mid crossover on the deck, to 200hz instead of the usual 100,  the sub bass becomes much more clearer and deep and perceivedly louder.  So what i believe is going on is that a ton of cancellation is going on between the lower mid bass frequency of my 6.5s and the upper sub bass frequency of my sub. I do drive a coupe and there is not a lot of cabin space so im sure a bunch of those frequencies are easily bumping into each other.

is my assumption correct? and is this the proper way to deal with it? or is something else going on? the other option i could do is instead cross my subs at 63hz and mids at 100-125hz.. i havent tried it this way but the way it is now with subs at 100 and mids at 200 sounds pretty sweet. i just hope im not missing out on any important midrange/midbass elements from the music being crossed that high.

I would say you are missing the fs between 100-200 hz if i understand how you have it set up. Midrange ok but midbass is lacking.

As long as it sounds good to you, thats what matters. rock it! 

Guess one of my questions would be why are you running at a 24 db slope when 12 dB makes a way smoother transaction ... just Saying 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

1 hour ago, White Lightning said:

Guess one of my questions would be why are you running at a 24 db slope when 12 dB makes a way smoother transaction ... just Saying 

I havent messed around with slopes too much but for sub i prefer a steeper slope. Ill mess around with hp and lp slopes today and see how it sounds. 

I could see it if you were four way or array active ... 

I’ve toyed with several settings with my Helix and 2 way active .... and the 12 dB slope seems to work best with my overlap of frequencies ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

5 hours ago, White Lightning said:

I could see it if you were four way or array active ... 

I’ve toyed with several settings with my Helix and 2 way active .... and the 12 dB slope seems to work best with my overlap of frequencies ...

I fooled around with the slopes. The sub bass is so loud that it just kills and drowns out all midbass so whether at 12db 200 hz or 24db 200hz it doesnt change a whole lot. I still felt 200hz 24db slope with subs 100hz 24db slope sounded best. Perhaps its just the way my car is. I did however increase the speaker levels to +5 on the fronts and it made the total system sound louder and clearer.

Im using a custom zv3 with zv4 x12 v2 and zv5 soft parts with spl cone off of about 1700 to 1900rms

My mids are 6.5 inch crescendo pwx pro audio speakers getting about 100 to 120 rms each

if yo are tuned around 30-40 on your subs and jus have mid range and tweets you are goin to miss out on a lot of musical infomation i you listen to stuff like rock and country. a lot of the bass in tha stuff is between 70-150hz and compnents just dont usually pla that well to keep up with modern subwoofers.

17 hours ago, strangeduck said:

if yo are tuned around 30-40 on your subs and jus have mid range and tweets you are goin to miss out on a lot of musical infomation i you listen to stuff like rock and country. a lot of the bass in tha stuff is between 70-150hz and compnents just dont usually pla that well to keep up with modern subwoofers.

Hey kinda off topic but...can an aa mayhem 12 work in 2 cubes net? I am thinking of upgrading to that sub but got limited space

4 hours ago, akuma4u said:

Hey kinda off topic but...can an aa mayhem 12 work in 2 cubes net? I am thinking of upgrading to that sub but got limited space

I dont know

On 5/18/2019 at 7:19 PM, akuma4u said:

I fooled around with the slopes. The sub bass is so loud that it just kills and drowns out all midbass so whether at 12db 200 hz or 24db 200hz it doesnt change a whole lot. I still felt 200hz 24db slope with subs 100hz 24db slope sounded best. Perhaps its just the way my car is. I did however increase the speaker levels to +5 on the fronts and it made the total system sound louder and clearer.

Im using a custom zv3 with zv4 x12 v2 and zv5 soft parts with spl cone off of about 1700 to 1900rms

My mids are 6.5 inch crescendo pwx pro audio speakers getting about 100 to 120 rms each

I’ve personally never run a sub any higher than 70 htz at a 12 dB slope, which is where my Avalanche is set now. My 6.5” drivers in my doors are playing from 2600 htz down to 70 htz on a 12 dB slope. With the subs time aligned (4 ft), they blend really well together with no apparent frequencies missing. 

Guess my reason for posting this is I wonder why you’re capping your mid bass drivers so steep ??? 

Archived