Second Skin Audio

Using WinISD to select a Subwoofer

vnisme

Hello guys,  I have a box for a 10" subwoofer that is 1.3 net tuned to 33hz.  21 sq in of port.  I am modeling a Fi X 10 compared to a Fi SSD 10 and WinISD is saying in the same 1.3 net enclosure that the X would greatly outperform the SSD.  I will be using 1200 watts rms.  Should I go with what WinISD is saying and buy the X?

Thank you!

• vnisme changed the title to Using WinISD to select a Subwoofer

It looks like you are looking at the "Transfer function magnitude" graph.  That graph is useful for comparing the same sub in different enclosures, but not so good for comparing different subs in the same enclosure.  

For what you want to do you want to look at the "SPL" graph.  For better accuracy, make sure you enter in the same "Driver input voltage" for both subs in the Signal tab in WinISD (both subs have to be the same ohms for this to work properly).  Entering in the same voltage is better than putting in the same watts (System input power) in WinISD due to the way it calculates input power based on Re of each sub.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived