Second Skin Audio

Multiple port tuning

This will probably be a no brainer to yall, but its something that's been on my mind n all I have are theories and uneducated guesses.

I was looking at 4th n 6th order enclosures and the benefits of each and got to thinking... What would happen if you had a dual ported enclosure with 2 different tunings in the same box? 

I'm sure it would probably be a mess, but if I had the funds I would just build it n see for myself... but I'm sure somebody can shed some light on it for me.

Do you mean a ported box with two ports, each port tuned to a different frequency?  

It doesn't actually work that way.  Its not just the port that is tuned, the ports and box work together as a system so you can't tune one port differently than the other.  So instead of having one port tuned to 30 Hz, for example, and one tuned to 40 hz, they kinda average out so the whole thing is tuned to around 35 Hz. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

5 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Do you mean a ported box with two ports, each port tuned to a different frequency?  

It doesn't actually work that way.  Its not just the port that is tuned, the ports and box work together as a system so you can't tune one port differently than the other.  So instead of having one port tuned to 30 Hz, for example, and one tuned to 40 hz, they kinda average out so the whole thing is tuned to around 35 Hz. 

Ok so I figured they would probably cancel each other out, lose output n generally sound real messy... so would there be any change in sound quality? I'm sure one port would have more velocity than the other, correct?

27 minutes ago, MyNameIsNoob said:

Ok so I figured they would probably cancel each other out, lose output n generally sound real messy... so would there be any change in sound quality? I'm sure one port would have more velocity than the other, correct?

I haven’t done experiments with this myself, but my understanding is that since the overall tuning is the same, the velocity through the ports should be the same as well. 

There is one situation where I have heard of people using multiple ports of different lengths. For home audio I’ve heard people using a series of ports with slightly different lengths because the frequency at which you get pipe resonance issues will be slightly different for each of the ports even though the Helmholtz resonant frequency is the same for all the ports. The result is instead of getting a big spike in output at the pipe resonant frequency of a single port (generally consider to be a bad thing) you get smaller spikes in output at multiple frequencies. 

None of that really applies to car audio though. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

On 5/20/2019 at 3:25 PM, Triticum Agricolam said:

I haven’t done experiments with this myself, but my understanding is that since the overall tuning is the same, the velocity through the ports should be the same as well. 

There is one situation where I have heard of people using multiple ports of different lengths. For home audio I’ve heard people using a series of ports with slightly different lengths because the frequency at which you get pipe resonance issues will be slightly different for each of the ports even though the Helmholtz resonant frequency is the same for all the ports. The result is instead of getting a big spike in output at the pipe resonant frequency of a single port (generally consider to be a bad thing) you get smaller spikes in output at multiple frequencies. 

None of that really applies to car audio though. 

Gotcha. Thank you Sir!

So many lil nuances and such when it comes to making music, I had to ask lol

Archived