Second Skin Audio

type r 12 d2 in a 4th order

jroo

• I have a type r 12 sitting around that I received cheap. I was told these are 4th order friendly and had kicked around the idea of building one since I am sitting on the sub. I saw plans recently for a sealed side of 09 (cu. ft) and ported side of 1.0 (cu.ft.) with a 4 inch port tuned to 50hz. Also a little nervous that a 4 inch port might not be enough port area. I have about 500 watts rms to give to it. 

I was wondering what the general performance of that plan would be? The last 4th order I had was similar ported and sealed sections but the tuning was higher like 60hz. The plans were made with a 1 to 1 ratio and higher tuning to get bandwidth from 70 down to 30 if I remember correctly.

I assume you have the most recent generation of Type R sub?

That sub should work well in a 4th order bandpass box.  Since you power level is moderate you could increase the volume of the rear chamber if you wanted more low frequency output, anywhere up to about 1.4 cu ft should be good.  

A single 4" port isn't going to be enough port area, as you suspected.  I would go with two 4" ports are a single 6" port.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

looking at the bandwidth I want to achieve. Am I good with at 50hz or should I go higher with the tuning? Like I said, I have a 4th years back with a round solobaric that was set up to play flat. The tuning on the ported side was either 55 or 60hz. Trying to figure out what range a 50hz tune on this bandpass will give me? 

Well its going to depend on what kind of useable bandwidth you would like to get.  

Assuming fairly generic cabin gain, a 50 Hz tuning should give you good output from about 65 hz down to at least 30 hz.  Though cabin gain is highly variable and erratic, so your real world results may be different.  

My suggestion would be to make the ports removeable or otherwise adjustable so you can change the tuning frequency to suit you needs once you have the box playing and in the vehicle.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived