Second Skin Audio

Need Port help for 3 Sundown E8's

aburger

OK, so I switched it up a bit. Hopefully this works!

I decided on (2) Sundown SA-8v3's. Using the same Crescendo amp running at 2 Ohms gives me 1000 Watts RMS which matches the subs perfectly. Using your port area calculator, I came up with 33 Sq in optimal for 1.5 Cubic Feet, tuned to 35Hz, running at 1K at 2 Ohms. That being said, the slot port would be 4" wide, 7.5" high, and 37.5" deep. Hopefully this is correct.

6 hours ago, aburger said:

OK, so I switched it up a bit. Hopefully this works!

I decided on (2) Sundown SA-8v3's. Using the same Crescendo amp running at 2 Ohms gives me 1000 Watts RMS which matches the subs perfectly. Using your port area calculator, I came up with 33 Sq in optimal for 1.5 Cubic Feet, tuned to 35Hz, running at 1K at 2 Ohms. That being said, the slot port would be 4" wide, 7.5" high, and 37.5" deep. Hopefully this is correct.

Yup, that should work great!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm still here, trying to figure out my original idea. I've come up with a crude image of the box I"m going for which will include (3) Sundown E8 v5's (D2 for a 1.3 Ohm load) and a 6" round Aero port at 37" long. To achieve this, I'll have to run the port at a 90 degree bend along the back of the box. I haven't been able to find any definitive information about bending Aero ports and the consequences on noise and efficiency, so I think I'm just going to try it and see. My concern really is the length of the port, and if I'm meeting the optimal required port area. The parameters are as follows:

- (3) Sundown E8 v5 subs (D2 running at 1.3 Ohms)

Whoops, forgot the rest:

• (3)Sundown E8 v5 subs (D2 running at 1.3 Ohms)
  • Power is roughly 1250 watts off a Crescendo S1v2
  • Optimal port area should be 39 Square inches
  • Came up with a 6" Aero Port at 37" long
  • Tuned to 32 Hz based on Sundowns requirements
  • Sub enclosure is 1.8 cubic feet before adding the port and other displacement

Not sure about my calculations, it seems my Port area is too high but not sure.

Rough_box

Are you planning on making your port out of 6" pipe?  If so you should be able to find a 90 degree sweep that should work.  They have a gradual bend that shouldn't effect the efficiency of the port much.  They are really expensive for a stupid pipe fitting though, something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlotte-Pipe-6-in-PVC-DWV-90-Degree-Long-Sweep-1-4-Hub-x-Hub-Elbow-PVC-00304-1400/203950301

A 6" round port would be the minimum amount of port area I'd suggest running, but it should work.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Awesome, thank you so much for the confirmation. Yes, the port will be 6" pipe running the entire length of 37" with the 90 degree elbow like you suggested. I can't wait to try this out! Thanks again!

Archived