Sundown Audio

Sub amp low pass filter ?

Ron36

What U guys like to set your low pass filter for subs , I’m at 80 is that to low should it be like 120.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

i cant delete my reply. oops. and it depends if it sounds good to you.

you should be using low pass filter on subs. not high pass filter. thats weird.

but i have my subs set to 40hz low pass filter. and my speakers are just set to high pass filter around 80 or something. my room gain/resonance fills in between 40 and 80 easily. so i dont need to have them crossed over around the same frequency

I think it’s my low pass at 80-100 my fault , subsonic should be off or set to what ? Amp is a Skar RP1200.1

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Got new subs in and just seems like there’s more high sounds like words coming out of them not just bass.

set the low pass filter lower. like 40hz not higher. turn it to the left more until you stop hearing words coming from your subs and only hear bass and make sure its actually switch on to low pass filter.

your subsonic filter should be set if you have a ported subwoofer box but its not necessary if you have a sealed subwoofer box

set subsonic filter just below the boxes tuning frequency if its a ported subwoofer box.

I set mine to 63 low pass for my subs. No subsonic right now since I just am careful with what I play but when I get my SP4 in I'll be setting a subsonic to around 24 ish and probably the same low pass of 63.

I ran 40 hz low pass for the longest time but switched to 80 then 63 recently. Imo I liked 63 better but its all car specific I think. If you don't want to worry about it then I'd follow what realflow said, subsonic just below box tuning. I'd play with it till you find your sweet spot man. Let us know how it goes.

Also, not sure if you can find out but the crossover slope is important here. If I recall right the steeper the slope the higher you set your low pass, and the more gradual a slope the lower you set your low pass. Don't quote me on that haha just remembering some of that from my dd-1 manual. I can change my crossover slopes off my headunit but not sure if you can with yours. 

1 hour ago, realflow100 said:

set the low pass filter lower. like 40hz not higher. turn it to the left more until you stop hearing words coming from your subs and only hear bass and make sure its actually switch on to low pass filter.

your subsonic filter should be set if you have a ported subwoofer box but its not necessary if you have a sealed subwoofer box

set subsonic filter just below the boxes tuning frequency if its a ported subwoofer box.

Thats to low.   Its dependent on the sub itself and also in comparison to the mids.  80 is always a safe area.  I have very good midbass so i set mine at 100

Also matters at what the slope is from the sub to the midbass

the slope on my amp is probably like 8dB or 12dB so thats probably why i have mine set so low plus my room resonates HARD around 45 to 100hz. so i definitely dont need a boost of bass in that area. my stereo speakers can fully do the job at 45 to 50hz and they are only 4-inch 2-way bookshelf style speakers. so my sub does everything below 45hz mostly. i still have an EQ set for -15dB at 45hz and -18dB at 50hz with a smooth curve from 50hz to 100hz going to 0dB because its way too boomy otherwise. insanely punchy sounding but i dont care for that kind of punchy sounding bass i like lower deep clean bass.

Archived