Sundown Audio

How many watts required for audible difference?

akuma4u

Hey im currently trying to upgrade my amp. I have a hifonics brx2400.1d. It has been dynoed online to do about 2000rms at 14.4 i believe. It pushes my sundown subs nicely so i know its decent. One of their better amps. However i have a feeling its current hungry and not that efficient. Anyways, i saw the wolfram c2400 which does 2500rms at 1ohm 14.4 and 78% efficiency or the bs2.1 which is 90% efficient! And does around same numbers as the wolfram. 

So my question is, going from the hifonics 2000 rms at 14.4 vs wolframs 2500 at 14.4, will i notice an audible difference? I know the wolfram will be more efficient

If no then its kinda pointless to invest into a new amp and just continue rocking the hifonics till it dies.  

Thanks

A 1 dB increase in output is about the smallest increase that is detectable by the human ear.  And by that I mean if you played a tone at X dB and then played it at X+1 dB you would just BARELY be able to tell a difference.  

It takes about a 25% increase in watts to gain a 1 dB increase in output.  That's what you are looking at going from 2000 watts to 2500 watts.

A 3 dB increase is generally perceived as sounding about 10% louder, but its takes TWICE as much watts to achieve.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

1 hour ago, akuma4u said:

Thx for the reply..i guess i should just keep using the hifonics..

I probably would.  Its not going to be worth your money to only gain another 500 watts or so. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived