Jimmie's 96 GMC2500 - Epic 1st "BUILD"

2 hours ago, White Lightning said:

Yes Sir, I know EXACTLY what you mean ...

image_url-43297-1379395584.jpg

Love it. Which white is this?

I almost went black for a stealthy sorta look, but I think a crisp looking white brings out the clean body lines better... and as an artist, its almost a blank canvas :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Epic said:

Love it. Which white is this?

I almost went black for a stealthy sorta look, but I think a crisp looking white brings out the clean body lines better... and as an artist, its almost a blank canvas :D

That was the original color code GM White with 2 coats of clear ...

I REALLY miss that Truck !!! Which is why I'm dropping all projects to build my Phantom Dickle ... It's going to be two toned Green and Black When we get around to spraying it ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

17 hours ago, will77530 said:

I love them in summit white

i wish my 98 bad

15 hours ago, White Lightning said:

That was the original color code GM White with 2 coats of clear ...

I REALLY miss that Truck !!! Which is why I'm dropping all projects to build my Phantom Dickle ... It's going to be two toned Green and Black When we get around to spraying it ...

Summit White was the factory color, correct?

This is my first GMT400, I got it in 2011, but the longer I have it the more it grows on me. When it's all done, I doubt there's a price you could pay me for it. Granted, it will be far from a factory 96, but I rather drive this truck than a new one. 

Yesterday's progress.

My factory hood needed alot of work, so as I contemplated jus getting another one vs the work it'll take to get my existing one right, I decided I may as well get an aftermarket hood w a lil more character. After looking at my options, I found very few that fit the look I wanted without being too common or too cheesy. Then a saw one in my Google image search that I had to have. It was an HD hood, but nobody carried one for my truck. I came to the conclusion that nobody even made one for my truck, or during the time I spent looking for one, I'd have it built already (and most likely save a few coins in the process). So I went ahead n did it...

I ended up getting the hood off of a 2014 HD Silverado to use the skin off of. It needs ab an inch trimmed off it to fit and have enough area to make the transition and room to weld. (Everything outside the tape line get cut)

20191127_191829

Here's the underside of the hood. I wanted to keep a lil extra bracing, so I trimmed everything outside of the tape line that would prevent it from sitting flush against my existing hood.

20191127_163241

All the excess cut back and ready to test fit.

20191130_180358

After lots of small adjustments getting it to fit just right and playing around w the positioning and angles, I think this is how it's gna set.

20191201_15442820191201_161326

Here's one I found online, kinda similar to how mine will be for the most part.

69237152_2325445331005331_95467070950817662_n

I had the steel cowl hook on my White truck and basically regretted it missing the stock ... Just Me. 

so that’s why I’m leaving the Green Truck’s hood stock ... 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

• 1 month later...

Got the hood finished up last night. Will post completed pics later, but here's some of what I've done since last update.

20200106_011648

Cut a 3"x12" piece of sheetmal and panel bonding for some extra reinforcement to help it keep shape over time.

20191223_234341

Got it all fit up and tacked, ready to weld. I didn't care for the boxy look of the other version that I saw online, so I matched mine closer to the angle of my grill. When pushed back to get the look I want, I had to cut a 2" slit down the middle to release the pressure.

... But that's the fun of making something fit that was never suppose to lol

20200105_234039

Set it on the truck to get an idea of how its gonna look so I can decide how I want to sculp the bodyline transitions.

20200105_233913

Side view of hood. Kinda like how it flows into grill, which i wasn't sure of since the grill is angular, but I think it's gonna work.

Now to help clean up the back section.

20191223_170849

There's an odd looking void between the 2 skins that need closed up, not only for cosmetics, but for structural and rust prevention also.

20191224_130946

Used some masking tape to trace the edges and make templates to cap the rear for a factory sorta look.

20191229_202803

Here's the 3 filler pieces trimmed up and contoured, ready to go.

20200112_020927

Got the 2 end pieces tacked in place, need to flip the hood for a better look at the middle one though.

20200112_020608

Got em welded solid and cleaned up some

Next up is a lip to flush in the hood vents. 

20200109_232831

Found 2 heavy guage coat hangers to use the steel from.

20200111_143312

Got the coating sanded off, cut to length and contoured to fit the curve of vents

20200112_005923

Got em test fit to match the factory contours and tacked in place.

20200111_184226

20200111_184131

I decided not to weld the coat hangers solid since it's not a structural piece, but the biggest decision is how much of a gap I wanted to allow for the primer and paint thickness. I need it to look seemless, but also enough to take vents off without scratching the paint if need be. I also made the lip curve underneath the rear of vent for a clean transition between the rear filler piece and the sides.

I will take some pics of the finished bodywork a little bit later on today.

Awesome upgrade Bro

Archived