Second Skin Audio

Question about bass on my 4th order

9 hours ago, 2012dozer said:

I went back and looked at my messages and it is tuned for 42 Hertz.  The subsonic is set around 30 and the low pass set around 110.  It's a Ford f150 crew cab, I'm trying to upload pics to imgur but it's not cooperating.   The box dimensions are 38x28x20 and the port size is 18.5"x6"and 16" deep.  Sealed chamber is 1.91 cubes and the ported chamber is 6.03 cubes.

https://imgur.com/a/bM7JjJ0

The ported chamber is a bit on the large side, which is going to make the frequency response more peaky.  That would explain your problem.  

This box looks to be in the back seat area of a pickup?  For this application, a regular ported box my suit you better.  Your current bandpass box is going to give you lots of output between 32 - 50 Hz, but its output is going to fall off faster above and below that compared to a ported box, especially on the upper side.  A lot of rock music content begins above 60 hz, so this would explain why your current box doesn't do real great and a ported box may be better.  Everything comes at a cost though, the ported box won't have as much output around 40 Hz as your current box does.  Still if I were in your situation I'd at least give a ported box a try and see how you like it.  

For ported box specs I'd suggest 3.0 cu ft of net airspace, tuned to 32 Hz, with 50 sq in of port area.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thanks for the explanation.  I was reading that a ported box may be better suited for what I listen to after having this issue.  I was rather disappointed when I first got it running and played a few songs that I thought would sound good.  This was my first build and went with what the box designer recommended.  I will try a ported box like you recommend and see how it works out.  

• 1 month later...

I wanted to update this thread, I just installed a ported box and it sounds a lot better.  I'm trying to host a picture but it's not working very well.  I'm thinking I want to go with bigger subs already 😃  Thanks for you help guys.  

Archived