Wiring & Fuses

6 hours ago, Don Hammond said:

I currently have 2 SHCA 1/0 + going  from front battery to rear battery both fused with 350 amp ANL fuse per run both ends.

My question is coming off the rear battery to the + distribution block do I need another fuse holder. It is 2 short runs 1' inside the vehicle. Then from distribution block to amp's do I need to fuse again? Those rubs are only 1.5' long max. 

350 a fuse on your main runs ? Last I checked 1/0 ofc was 300 unless I’m wrong ? Don’t want you to have a fire hazard bro be careful

I thought 1/0 was rated at 350 so that is what i went with. If i am wrong please let me know lol. I read on another post on SMD forum 1/0 was rated 350amp. It is for the main runs. I just bought another fuse block from SMD  to fuse each amp.

Also its composition. i.e. copper based or aluminum based(cca)

And,.. it all depends on length. 

If i was you,.. id put smaller in. Just me. At 350,... your wire is the fuse imho. I bet you could get away with much smaller, and in this case, smaller is better....but, its your rig.

EDIT - also,.. your demand is whatever,... you didnt list anything about what your SUPPLY is. 

Lets say i had 10, NS1's. Lot of demand ya? But, i had a 40 amp alt, and my starting battery.  So, figuring demand, i need max fusing on my runs eh? .......... no, you dont.  (your wire will fail before the 500 amp fusing you thing you need)

Ok I will try and give more details this time lol. Apex alternator rated @ 390 amps, 2 xs power d3400 batteries, 2 KXA 2400.1 rated @ 2400 watts ea, 2 Q class 500.4 rated @ 500 watts ea RMS, 4 DC audio level 3's d2 with level 4 LR surround, just purchased. I ran 2 1/0 OFC SHCA power from front battery to rear(15' run), fuse holder as both ends. One SMD dual fuse holder after the front battery and one SMD dual fuse holder before the 2nd battery.  From the 2nd battery I ran 2 1/0 to distribution block, from distribution block to SMD Quad XL fuse holder. I am going to fuse each amp as recommended, but what i am looking for is the fuse size between the batteries. I thought the bigger the fuse the better. Am I wrong?

• 5 weeks later...

Archived