Sundown Audio

Installing a Fosgate t1000.5ad

Cybermanlonnie

I’m trying to install a fosgate t1000.5ad in my Chevy Colorado and it gets super hot really fast. I grounded with nut and bolt after sanding down to metal, through sheet metal around the rear seat mount. Just trouble shooting and want to know y’alls opinions.

When you say really fast how fast are we talking about? Read post #7 below and check all the things listed. Also are you sure that it's bare metal that your grounded to, just asking because I have seen people sand down to the gray primer and thought it was metal.

15 minutes ago, CrackFactory said:

Check for shorted speaker wire and also check your ohm loads. 

If it had a short, it would go into protect. 

OP,

Its made mostly/specifically for motorcycles, utvs, side by sides. These types of boards ALWAYS run hot. Damn near nuclear. Its a class BD, with the AD technology, whatever, ... its going to run hot. Period. If it doesnt go into protect, dont worry about it. Hell, even after a few hours of playing and it does, let it cool down, and then let it rip again. Voltage, this and that, isnt gonna help. Air flow, (mounted with space, adding fans (which i believe it has, again why i wouldnt worry about it) to circulate, will help. Also, you could double check your load/impedance is NOT real low. That will over work it harder, no doubt. 

If all checks OK,... Just let it eat man....  youll be fine i bet.  Best of luck. 

Thank you very much for the insight. I got the amp for the factory integration and small size. When I say it gets hot fast I mean within 20 minutes of having it hooked up I couldn’t keep my hand on it and that’s with no load at all, no speakers hooked up just power ground and the hi level inputs. I took my dremmel with a grinder wheel and stripped both the top and bottom of where the ground bolt is back to bare metal. I just can’t figure what the deal is, it just doesn’t feel right. Could running the hi level inputs rather than rcas cause it to get hot?

Archived