Second Skin Audio

Two 8's, one 10 or one 12?

Looking to add a little more bass to my 2016 Toyota Sienna

It has a factory 10 speaker JBL Entune system with DVD/BluRay and RES

First off, I'm not a bass head by any stretch (outgrew that phase a LONG time ago), but I do like nice clean thump (especially when watching movies)

Loud is good, but only for me to hear, not everyone sitting in traffic around me.

That being said, my main goal is to add a stealthy enclosure and I'm looking at sub options.

The amp being used is an NVX MPA1

installpix-6.jpg

300w x 1 @ 2 ohms

I love these little micro amps as they're super efficient and dirt cheap.

My Sienna has a decent sized storage space in the left rear corner that's meant for a removable 8th seat (for 8 seat versions of the van)

004.jpg

Since I have a 7 seat version with recliners, it's just an empty space

20190509-191617-Medium.jpg

siennasuboptions-3.jpg

siennasuboptions-4.jpg

siennasuboptions-5.jpg

siennasuboptions-6.jpg

Now, my intention is to create something like this....

siennasuboptions-15.jpg

A nice clean enclosure that looks like it was meant to be there.

Unfortunately, no one makes a drop in stealthbox 

Not a fan of glass enclosures, so I'm thinking of just making one out of MDF to fit within the space and just trim the entire space with a matching speaker grill cloth cover

Anyways, onto the sub choices.

In my previous beater, I had a pair of Pioneer shallow mount 8's in downfire boxes that fit under the seat and they sounded amazing for what they were.

installpix-5.jpg

canonpix-11.jpg

I still have them, so I'm considering them for the Sienna (a few pix in the space for size reference)

siennasuboptions-7.jpg

siennasuboptions-8.jpg

siennasuboptions-9.jpg

Another option is to go with a shallow mount 10 or 12

Since the rest of the system is all JBL, I figure their WS1200 might be a good choice

g109CL1200-F.jpg

g109CL1200-B.jpg

g109CL1200-o_side.jpg

Here are some random pix of another glass build:

siennasuboptions-13.jpg

siennasuboptions-12.jpg

siennasuboptions-11.jpg

siennasuboptions-10.jpg

siennasuboptions-14.jpg

Which size of sub(s) would you choose and why?

Since you are going to be using a sealed box maximizing cone displacement is your route to the best performance. This means getting as much cone area and Xmax as you can get. 

If it were me, I’d make the shell of the enclosure first and then determine how much internal volume and depth you have to worth with.  From there you can determine what subs to go with.  Hopefully you can fit a 12” in there.

I would advise you to avoid shallow mount subs if at all possible.  They are almost all a compromise to fit a certain space and their performance pays the price.  This is especially important for sealed enclosures since reaching Xmax is what usually limits their output (unlike ported enclosures).   I would also avoid 8” subs for pretty much the same reasons.  If you must use a shallow mount sub I would see if the Sundown SD-3 series subs will fit, they are less performance compromised than most shallow subs.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I would have to agree with Triticum on this one. I had an Infinity 12" REF -1200S shallow mount sub in one of my previous builds (It's identical to the JBL WS1200 as they are made by the same company). I had it in a sealed box behind my seats in my regular cab Dakota. Output was a little on the weak side and that was with it firing into the back of my seat. It was enough at the time in my small cab, but in a Sienna, I can't imagine it being enough. Just my opinion, but I would shoot for a ported 10", or if you have to go sealed, a couple Sundown SD3's would fill in that space nicely. You could also look at the DD Audio SL series as well.

Thanks for the info, guys

I'm gunna install the amp and throw the 8's in the back temporarily to see how they sound.

I mean, they sounded great in my XB and were actually overkill for my needs, but the Sienna does have more space to deal with.

That being said, I'll need to install a line converter, but not sure where to tap into.

It already has a single sub mounted on the rear hatch, which I assume has its own amp somewhere.

Is there a plug and play line out converter available so I don't have to splice into the factory wiring?

21 hours ago, aburger said:

Found the PAC AmpPRO AP4-TY12 at Crutchfield. Should fit the bill.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541AP4TY12/PAC-AmpPRO-AP4-TY12-Amplifier-Replacement-Interface.html?tp=6346

I assume this is what you need?

I've actually seen mixed reviews on this on the SIenna forums (yes, there's a minivan forum lol)

Besides, that's kinda spendy for what I'm looking to accomplish.

I was thinking a basic line converter connected to a plug in play harness from Metra or Axxess and the like.....

Thing is, the factory setup is a bit more complicated than the old school stuff that I'm used to.

WIth DSP and 10 speakers, I'm not sure where the best place to splice would be

system-overview.png

Damn i like how that turned out, kind of wish I could hear it in person to see how it sounds.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

How does the JBL perform? I think most people who run them say they sound really good, it would be interesting t hear most variations of subs, all i hear are mine! 

Archived