Second Skin Audio

Need help ported box for 4 skar vvx8v3

jayierra

I have 4 Skar VVX8-V3 and i need help with a box design at the moment i need trunk space in my car so the most i can do is a 2.5 to 2.6 cubic ft box after displacement dimensions is 40 inches long 12 inches high and 14.5 inches deep. would the subs work okay with the amount of cubic ft i have a port tube which is a flared 4 inch port 10.5 inches long i am unsure what the tune hz would the box be tune to. so my questions are

would the subs be okay in this enclosure?

would i need a double baffle for these subs?

what hz tune would a 4 inch port 10.5 inches long be for the enclosure?

all answers will be appreciated i am kind of new to this as this is my first attempt to build a box for my scion FR-S please help.

I have 4 Skar VVX8-V3 and i need help with a box design at the moment i need trunk space in my car so the most i can do is a 2.5 to 2.6 cubic ft box after displacement dimensions is 40 inches long 12 inches high and 14.5 inches deep. would the subs work okay with the amount of cubic ft i have a port tube which is a flared 4 inch port 10.5 inches long i am unsure what the tune hz would the box be tune to. so my questions are

would the subs be okay in this enclosure?

would i need a double baffle for these subs?

what hz tune would a 4 inch port 10.5 inches long be for the enclosure?

all answers will be appreciated i am kind of new to this as this is my first attempt to build a box for my scion FR-S please help.

You should have enough space for those subs based on the dimensions you gave.  

How much power are you going to be running?

A single 4" port is unlikely to be enough port area.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

You should have enough space for those subs based on the dimensions you gave.  

How much power are you going to be running?

A single 4" port is unlikely to be enough port area.  

I’m was gonna run it on 1500 all together so 375 per sub I could go 2000 watts but all I have for power upgrades are the big 3 still waiting on my 450 amp alternator to come in 

Do you think 2 4 inch ports would be enough port area ?

5 hours ago, jayierra said:

No, that's still not enough.  You need three 4" ports, or a slot port of about 40 sq in of port area.  

You are basically in the same spot as ehall8702 was a few days ago.  1500 watts doesn't sound like a ton of power, but into a box for four 8"s it is and it takes a fair amount of port area to let that sound energy out.  

Here is his thread for more info: 

FYI, if you think you are going to run more power later, you should plan for that now with your port area.  With that being said, you will NEVER hear the difference between 1500 and 2000 watts.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

17 hours ago, jayierra said:

I’m was gonna run it on 1500 all together so 375 per sub I could go 2000 watts but all I have for power upgrades are the big 3 still waiting on my 450 amp alternator to come in 

I tell ya if triticum gives ya advice , definantly take it. Dude knows his shit! My 4 8s are so violent it's almost unbelievable. I think I actually broke part of my cab on my truck and they aren't even broken in yet.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

On 6/10/2019 at 3:31 PM, ehall8702 said:

I tell ya if triticum gives ya advice , definantly take it. Dude knows his shit! My 4 8s are so violent it's almost unbelievable. I think I actually broke part of my cab on my truck and they aren't even broken in yet.

Thank you both so much for the help I actually took his advice and ran 3 4 inch ports and I even made a second panel to try and hear the difference with the single and he was right my whole car is flexing hard even with second skin sound deadening full coverage in my FR-S 

Archived