Lug nuts true or full of shit

Ok soo went to get tires change at a tire shop today and they told me I gotta change all my lug nuts because they are warped from heat and our roads. Anyone experience this? Scion xb oh they said they experiencing this with alot if Lexus and toyota.

Shakin not Stirred....my buildhttp://www.stevemead...ngle-cab-build/412 CVX

And put a sealed enclosure in your trunk cut a hole in your deck and call it ported :lol2:

heat? no.

Corrosion and use? absolutely. 'Yota and several other MFRs are having issues with it. tl;dr 2 piece lug nut, swaged chrome cover on it. Cover fucks up, leaves you with the under lug nut.

Not a required replacement but if you opt not to, keep a socket set and breaker bar in  your car because the included lug wrench will NOT fit.

Only on ones with the lug skins

Matco makes special sockets for them because they'll  mess up and be not 22mm, but 22.5mm for example. Intended for FCA (chrysler) stuff. Basically a loose socket. IIRC Ford got sued for it as well.

That being said.. They're lug nuts. Just go look at them and see if the appropriate size socket fits

50 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

Only on ones with the lug skins

Matco makes special sockets for them because they'll  mess up and be not 22mm, but 22.5mm for example. Intended for FCA (chrysler) stuff. Basically a loose socket. IIRC Ford got sued for it as well.

That being said.. They're lug nuts. Just go look at them and see if the appropriate size socket fits

Also only way to tell if swollen if put a socket ontop?

Shakin not Stirred....my buildhttp://www.stevemead...ngle-cab-build/412 CVX

And put a sealed enclosure in your trunk cut a hole in your deck and call it ported :lol2:

Sometimes it's visually obvious, sometimes not.

Typically what'll happen is they swell to a larger size. So the original socket won't fit. Might be the next American size up, or next metric size up, or an odd in between. Really could be anything. Then if the cap falls off (ford), it'll typically be a metric size smaller

I would change them ,if U get a flat you’ll be fucked, and I already changed my wife’s Escapes lug nuts with solid ones, it’s stupid what the manufacturers are doing, happens to pretty much all the car lines. Aftermarket offers a solid lug nut.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

12 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

heat? no.

Corrosion and use? absolutely. 'Yota and several other MFRs are having issues with it. tl;dr 2 piece lug nut, swaged chrome cover on it. Cover fucks up, leaves you with the under lug nut..

deal with this shit every day at work.

2 piece lugnuts are junk, usually the first thing i swap out on every car i buy if it has them.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

1 hour ago, Ron36 said:

I would change them ,if U get a flat you’ll be fucked, and I already changed my wife’s Escapes lug nuts with solid ones, it’s stupid what the manufacturers are doing, happens to pretty much all the car lines. Aftermarket offers a solid lug nut.

The craziest part to me is what manufacturers charge for a set of oem garbage 2 piece lug nuts, aftermarket solid ones are typically 1/3 the price or less than the oem junk.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived