Help with charging on 2003 Yukon

I need some help with a charging problem. 2003 GMC Yukon. 3 alternator mount. 1 stock alternator, 2 singer 270's with transpo external regulator. Plan is for the stock alternator to run the truck, and the 2 270's to run the audio. If I start to turn the voltage up on the 270's higher than the stock voltage, all of sudden the charging on the stock side drops off to battery voltage and after 20 seconds or so the truck will shut off. I have the positive feed for the regulator coming from the audio side. I am using chassis ground for all the alternators and the batteries in the rear, is there a problem with 2 different voltages going through the chassis ground?

Thanks!

Does your rig have a current clamp around the stock ground? Will be near the battery

Right on. Wasn't sure which years did or did not have it

Would you provide a wiring diagram as a starting point? Including locations of each fuse, ground locations, batteries, and alternator wiring

Ok so I think  I may have found the problem.  I thought I had the +12v for the transpo coming from the audio side, but I had it going to the stock side.  I am guessing the transpo regulator reads the +12v to see what the output voltage of the alternator is.  So maybe the transpo was pulling alot of current trying to get the alts to make more voltage, but not seeing it since it was powered from the stock alt?

Does this make any sense?  Not sure if this is how they work, but moving the +12v for the transpo to the 2 270's seems to have fixed it.

No one is laughing mate.

Why does it go from one fuse right into another fuse?  Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

It shouldn't matter but maybe ground the relay and transpo to an actual ground and not the stock battery negative?

If it was me I would keep EVERYTHING, except chassis ground of course, separate, no exceptions.  Period.  Transpo's need to be near the alts?  If so, and you have no stereo battery/reserve up there, can you feed them positive by adding a lug to the fuse holder and use the stereo alts positive?  

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived