Second Skin Audio

Sub help

Alright guys. I'm gonna start with this is not a vs because I would own both sets of subs. So I wouldn't be picking one or the other to buy. 

I have already purchased everything to build a wall in a dodge caliber. The build consisted of a 270 Ces alt and a 390. 3-45 ah banks of cmax and 2 banks of maxwells. 4 FI team 15 and 4 taramps Md 8ks.

Now my wife doeant really want me to build in the caliber. She wants me to buy an audio vehicle. So I ran across one yesterday that I'm kinda interested in buying and it's one city over from me.

Its build is 2 CES 320s, 190ah CMax, 4 AA3800.1s, on 4 Sundown ZV5 18s.

So I believe the zv5s will take the 8ks. I see people give them that kind of power frequently. I'm just kind of wondering if the "power handling" of the 15" teams would be able to compete with the cone area of the zv5s. Its ~300sqin more cone area with the zv5s.

I really think I would just do better putting the 8ks on the 18s. What do yall think?

Also I'm not really looking for brand loyalty. I love FI and dont really care for Sundown although I have never ran their products. But I was looking for knowledge on whether the cone area or power handling wins in this situation.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

I’d rather stick to building my own than trusting another’s work. That way when shit fucks up you can blame yourself 😂

cone area wise 4 18s is more than 4 15s 

I’ve heard good things from both companies but those Fi teams can take some power so longevity they might have better thermals than the sundowns. Can’t go wrong here but I’d look for another car that’s stock that you can use your alternators you already have. Then run all new wire and everything. Then the wife can’t complain your blowing windows on your project car 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Wishuponasub said:

I'm just kind of wondering if the "power handling" of the 15" teams would be able to compete with the cone area of the zv5s.

Power handling doesn't make a sub louder by itself.  More cone area usually DOES make a sub louder.  

The four 18"s will almost certainly be louder.  The real question is if they will handle 8k a piece and for how long.  I can't help you much with that. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thank you guys. The building part would not be fun for me. I'm not very good with woodwork or cutting a straight line for that matter. I figured the cone area would win out. I see both sides of the arguement. Hard decisions.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

Archived