Lost in the sea of MIDS!

NFrank97

Looking for some pointers in the right direction, building a new system and it’s time to address the mids and highs. I have one Fi 18 running on 6k, walled off in a extended cab Tacoma, and want a setup that has a lot of SQ as well as be able to keep up with the sub. 

With that being said I have no idea if something like a three way SQ component set would do good, or if I need to go more the pro audio route. Need to know how many of what size speakers would be sufficient enough to keep up.

Also wondering what anyone recommends as far as crossovers go, better results with active or passive, or if a signal processor is worth it?

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Pro audio and SQ aren't even the same language ...

To a point yes. But some of th3 best sq systems ive heard were dine using hlcd.  Which is pro audio in my opinion.  It just depends how you go about it

9 hours ago, NFrank97 said:

Looking for some pointers in the right direction, building a new system and it’s time to address the mids and highs. I have one Fi 18 running on 6k, walled off in a extended cab Tacoma, and want a setup that has a lot of SQ as well as be able to keep up with the sub. 

With that being said I have no idea if something like a three way SQ component set would do good, or if I need to go more the pro audio route. Need to know how many of what size speakers would be sufficient enough to keep up.

Also wondering what anyone recommends as far as crossovers go, better results with active or passive, or if a signal processor is worth it?

Thanks. 

You lost me when you said Sound Quality and 6k in one post. 6k as strong as it is, does not have any where the driver control to match up the anything Sound Quality. Not in today’s world anyways. 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

6 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

You lost me when you said Sound Quality and 6k in one post. 6k as strong as it is, does not have any where the driver control to match up the anything Sound Quality. Not in today’s world anyways. 

I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. 99% of people think sound quality just means sound super clear.  So i just roll with it instead of trying to explain it all

26 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. 99% of people think sound quality just means sound super clear.  So i just roll with it instead of trying to explain it all

Agree. I think sound quality, is tossed around way way way easy, and to much. 

1 hour ago, White Lightning said:

I understand that towards the top end of the subs output (in my case) sound quality kinda goes out window anyway. Was just curios as to weather others though it was worth it to buy a passive component set or just get a signal processor, amp,  and multiple drivers. Preferably I’d like to buy things once and not have to re purchase things so to speak if I’m not happy with the results. 

I’m thinking about just going to processor route and getting a few mid size drivers and a couple tweeters for each door, that way I know they will able to keep up with the sub.

Im still very green in this field so bare with me on some things

• 1 month later...

If you can afford it all at once get the DSP. Zapco makes some of the best ones. Then I'd look into some DD Audio voice optimized 6.5 mids (2 sets) and some bullet tweets. That would give you a good clear sound and the output you're probably looking for.

Or if you're fabbing, go with one set of Voice optimized 8's one set of 6.5's and the bullets. All in the front doors. Then use the DSP to get out all to play well together. And add should deadening in layers on the door. Alternate between aluminum/butyl and vinyl sheets. Then line the door panel itself with aluminum/butyl and a layer of foam. 

Archived