Second Skin Audio

Blowthrough for ssd 18

Billy0124

I have an 18 fi ssd on the way that I'm going to use in a blowthrough. Messing around with bandpass designs for the first time in winsid. Question is what kind of curve am I looking for? 

First post is a picture of the 6th order model 

Second is the 4th order

There is no single "correct" curve.  It depends entirely on what your goals are and how you want your system to sound. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

1 hour ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

There is no single "correct" curve.  It depends entirely on what your goals are and how you want your system to sound. 

I want it to be musical. I listen rap, rock and country. Not worried as much about bass response in my country (if it's there great, if not no big deal). Would like to be able to get the low end on my rap and hopefully be able to pick up the tones in some of my rock as well. On the 4th order model that peak scares me. Thank you for replying 

If you are looking for wider bandwidth, and it sounds like you are, the parallel-tuned 6th order is most likely going to do that better.  You are certainly correct about being concerned with the peak the 4th order has. 

You can ROUGHLY approximate what cabin gain is going to do by adding a filter into WinISD like this:
image.png.55643a76086fa88c3386d510be29a8b5.png

See how it looks with the filter.  Keep in mind that peaks can be reduced very effectively though EQ.  If you are concerned about frequency response a DSP is the best $100 you can spend on your system.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

15 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

If you are looking for wider bandwidth, and it sounds like you are, the parallel-tuned 6th order is most likely going to do that better.  You are certainly correct about being concerned with the peak the 4th order has. 

You can ROUGHLY approximate what cabin gain is going to do by adding a filter into WinISD like this:
image.png.55643a76086fa88c3386d510be29a8b5.png

See how it looks with the filter.  Keep in mind that peaks can be reduced very effectively though EQ.  If you are concerned about frequency response a DSP is the best $100 you can spend on your system.  

I really don't even know where to start with a 6th order design.

On 6/17/2019 at 7:32 AM, Billy0124 said:

I really don't even know where to start with a 6th order design.

For parallel tuned 6ths, they aren't too hard.  Make the low chamber pretty much as you would a regular ported box for that sub, maybe tune a few Hz lower than your normally would.  The high chamber is tuned an octave above the low, you adjust the chamber volume to get the frequency response you want.  It usually ends up being somewhere around half the volume of the low chamber. 

Builds:

Archived