Sonic Electronix

How can I wire underbody led lights to door trigger and toggle switch

There's two cars I'm working on. A 2011 Camry and 2010 VW Passat. Both are getting underbody led lighting and would like to know how to wire them to door trigger and separate toggle switch. That way they come on when you open a door or you can turn them on in the inside whenever you'd like. I know it's possible but vey confused. Any help especially with diagrams would help tremendous thanks

85 is the power from the toggle switch. Basically you're using the toggle to activate the relay the same way you would if you were just using it to activate the light. You'll have power in to the switch, power out to the relay, and a ground for the switch if it's illuminated. If it doesn't have a light for the switch, you won't have a ground.

1 diode & spdt relay.

No parasitic draw & no feedback with a switch.

For negative dome light trigger

30 = 12v output to light

87a = N/A

87 = 12v

85 = 12v

86 = negitive door trigger input & negative switched, diode isolate door trigger wire at relay. Anode side facing relay

For positive dome light trigger

30 = 12v output to light

87a = N/A

87 = 12v

85 = ground

86 = positive door trigger input & positive switched, diode isolate door trigger wire at relay. Cathode side facing relay

There are other ways to wire it up without a diode, but that depends on how much current your dome light circuit can provide, this is why i didnt show 87a.

2 hours ago, jessdabest77 said:

Thanks for all the help. I apologize for the 99 questions. I was also wondering if any led will work or is there a specific brand or type to look for and what size amp diode would I need

For driving a relay, a 1 amp diode will work fine.

*Any 12v light will work, up to 30A per relay. 

Archived