Second Skin Audio

Noob in need of educated opinion >.< Send Help!

SiahSon

Is my sub older than you?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is my sub older than you?

• Yes
    • No

🤗 Hello, Im new and I hope this is not considered a VS thread. If so, mods feel free to hit me with that BAN HAMMER!

I'am looking for any opinions or insight on a good 12in sub (doubt I could fit a 15) to replace my newly deep fried 10in Orion H2. (picture attached may he RIP and live on forever in our hearts)

My goal is to get the loudest, low tone, car ratting, obnoxious teenager bass as possible given my space and budget.

First is my setup which consists of 2 sets of Inifinity Kappa 60CSX components ran by a Rockford T400-4 and a 10in Orion H2 (Born and lasted since 2002) recently fried by my Rockford T1500-1BDCP.

Second is my space which I admittedly drive a small women's hatchback (2016 Hyundai Veloster) which I can fit a 4cu ft box at max, which I will have built once I decide on the sub. I also attached a picture of my messy trunk to give a you visual on how constricting the trunk space is. Note that box I have in there is only about 1.75 cu ft.

Third is my budget which I would like to spend no more than $500-$600. I do live in the middle of the damn ocean in Hawaii so I need to take shipping into account as these heavy subs do not ship to me for cheap, and unfortunately we have not been able to train these damn dolphins to swim it over to me YET.

So I am not asking for for a definitive answer on which is the best or what would be the loudest. Just looking for opinions on other brands like Fi, Sundown, DC and if they have "better" options in my price range,  as there are no dealers in Hawaii who carry them. The only shops on Oahu carry Rockford, SKAR, and Xfire (he told me not to get it confused with Crossfire). As of right now the only things on my list are an HCCA 12 (Amazon will ship it to me for free and they get "loud" supposedly), a SKAR ZVX (dealer on island claims its the best for the price) and a Rockford T1 12 (dealer who sold me the amps is trying to convince me this is as loud as it gets for the money unless i pay him 1500 for a T2). So absolutely any information and opinions will be appreciated and I do realize everyone is different so I am interested to hear what others would do in my situation, besides run my car into a Volcano. PS extra question for you car audio veterans. When I have the box built would it be more beneficial for me to build the port facing up into the cab for air movement or facing the back of the car which it will probably be almost flush or maybe 1 or 2 inches away from my hatchback door?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!!!!

20190529_103913.pdf (cbc2).jpg

6 hours ago, SiahSon said:

My goal is to get the loudest, low tone, car ratting, obnoxious teenager bass as possible 

I think you should buy a nice pair of headphones

I have a Veloster and have had 3 different boxes in it.

First one was a 15" sub in a 4.25 ft3 box tuned to 30hz. Sub and port firing back. With 6" between box and hatch.

Then I needed to use my car for work which meant lotsa traveling, so i redesigned it all so I can put a few things on top of box. I used the same 15" sub and made a 4ft3 downfire box into the spare tire well with port firing to the rear. I tuned it to 33hz to get a bit higher tuning bc I knew the loading off the floor would make it lower, but lose output. (I had about 4-5 more inches on top of box I could make it bigger, if I wanted to use 2 12's I may have been able to?)

So. The first box was louder and resonated better off the back wall. The downfire box sounded tighter like a sealed box and you could feel it more. The output loss wasnt as big of a trade off as I thought it would be (I used 2x the cone area to keep it as unrestricted as possible and had the entire spare tire well plus 2" to load off of)

The third box I built is for a 12" Soundqubed HDC3 in a 2.25 or 2.5 ft3 box (cant remember, whichever SQ recommends) tuned to 32 hz. Sub facing up and port facing rear. 

On the same amp, my HDC3 is a bit louder than both of em, but idk how much of that is the different sub vs the orientation. I'm going to say the orientation had at least something to do w it being louder bc the 15 was quite a bit more sensitive and has more cone area than my 12 does.

If I wasnt trying to save room to put anything in hatch, I would use my 15" HDC3 using same orientation as the 12, but design the box with space between it and the hatch (all of my boxes in this car had sub firing back with around 5-6 inches between box n hatch) where I can cut the hole facing facing rear if I thought I could get more from it, similar to my first box.

I've always had my best results firing sub and port to the rear in hatchbacks, but every car is different and Id rather hear the difference, so I'd leave myself that option if I wasnt sure.

*btw, Its a tight fit, but i literally used every 1/2 inch of space i can in every direction, including matching the angle of my rear seats to get this airspace.

My 2 pennies.

19 hours ago, Joshy 94 said:

I would advise getting winisd on your computer and learning to use it. It will be your best friend and you will never need to ask what sub is best for this and that ever again.

Really good program thank you for the recommendation 

17 hours ago, Gunnem said:

I think you should buy a nice pair of headphones

LOL wait so its true nothing sounds better than my Beat by Dre 

14 hours ago, Epic said:

I have a Veloster and have had 3 different boxes in it.

First one was a 15" sub in a 4.25 ft3 box tuned to 30hz. Sub and port firing back. With 6" between box and hatch.

Then I needed to use my car for work which meant lotsa traveling, so i redesigned it all so I can put a few things on top of box. I used the same 15" sub and made a 4ft3 downfire box into the spare tire well with port firing to the rear. I tuned it to 33hz to get a bit higher tuning bc I knew the loading off the floor would make it lower, but lose output. (I had about 4-5 more inches on top of box I could make it bigger, if I wanted to use 2 12's I may have been able to?)

So. The first box was louder and resonated better off the back wall. The downfire box sounded tighter like a sealed box and you could feel it more. The output loss wasnt as big of a trade off as I thought it would be (I used 2x the cone area to keep it as unrestricted as possible and had the entire spare tire well plus 2" to load off of)

The third box I built is for a 12" Soundqubed HDC3 in a 2.25 or 2.5 ft3 box (cant remember, whichever SQ recommends) tuned to 32 hz. Sub facing up and port facing rear. 

On the same amp, my HDC3 is a bit louder than both of em, but idk how much of that is the different sub vs the orientation. I'm going to say the orientation had at least something to do w it being louder bc the 15 was quite a bit more sensitive and has more cone area than my 12 does.

If I wasnt trying to save room to put anything in hatch, I would use my 15" HDC3 using same orientation as the 12, but design the box with space between it and the hatch (all of my boxes in this car had sub firing back with around 5-6 inches between box n hatch) where I can cut the hole facing facing rear if I thought I could get more from it, similar to my first box.

I've always had my best results firing sub and port to the rear in hatchbacks, but every car is different and Id rather hear the difference, so I'd leave myself that option if I wasnt sure.

*btw, Its a tight fit, but i literally used every 1/2 inch of space i can in every direction, including matching the angle of my rear seats to get this airspace.

My 2 pennies.

Thank you so much for all the information, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain everything in detail. It really was nice to hear you had so many different setups already in the same vehicle. The fact you were able to build a 4.25 ft box for a 15 and still have 6" between box and hatch gives me some confidence in the different setups that can fit in the amount of limited space the Veloster has. I will also make sure to have my port firing to the rear and depending on the sub box recommendations maybe try to get 8 inches or so space between box and hatch and see how that goes since you already had such good results with the 5-6.

Archived