Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer bottoming out?

vnisme

I emailed them Friday Night, so I should get a response on monday.  The coil doesnt rub when I push it down by hand.  I do notice that at higher volumes the subwoofer will make a "squeeky" kind of sound before it will start "panging".  Around 2:10 Will make a hard mechanical sound which I believe might be the same sound?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that sounds like a reasonable answer.  The box I made did not have enough depth so I made a ring for the subwoofer to sit on and the venting pole in the back is pretty much sealed up against the back of the enclosure.  Although I do notice that the "venting pole" is machined with a plate in it, and I dont feel air being pushed through the "venting pole" just through the sides

3 hours ago, Gunnem said:

the subwoofer hole is too big and air is trying to come through the dustcap.  please build a box for the sub u have 

Jesus Christ do you just pull this bullshit out of your ass where the fuck does it come from

Here are a couple suggestions.  First get a sine wave tone generator app for your phone.  Use it to determine just what frequency or frequencies you are getting the strange noise.  

My second suggestion is to verify what your actual tuning frequency is.  So the easiest way to figure out your tuning frequency is to just play sine wave test tones while watching/gently feeling for cone movement.  While playing at moderate volume you move the test tone frequency up and down looking for the frequency where cone movement is the least, it will be like the cone almost stops moving completely.  That point is your tuning frequency.

Let us know what the results are and hopefully we can direct you from there. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Alrighty let’s see if I can explain this

the suspension of your sub the airspace of your box and your tuning all have to work together as one if your box is too big your suspension is going to be pushed outside of its parameters if you play below tuning the same thing is going to happen

your options are to shrink your box down which will raise your tuning as well so that’s a dangerous game to play

add spiders to your subs it’ll change the tl parameters but you won’t bottom out

or build a proper box based off the sub as well as power going to it

if you are over powering your sub you need to balance it out by building a smaller box to help control the suspension 

good luck dont don’t listen to that gunnem fuck he doesn’t know his head from his asshole apparently 

Listen to Triticum he knows his shit he helped me out on my 4 vvx8v3 build and they hit lower and harder than my 2 bd2 15s. Other than that like what Triticum said you want to find out what Frequency is your subs making that noise once you determine that you can adjust your subsonic filter for me I used the term pro software to ensure my subs perform correctly in the enclosure if you don’t want to spend money on that then you can also download WINisd and Torres box calculator they both work pretty good.  Good luck bro

• 2 weeks later...

Well the tuning seems to be at 31 using the method triticum provided.  I can play down to 23 before the sub will start "tapping" on the tone generator.  I dont think the Gucci Mane song goes that low, and the sub seems to start "tapping" before maximum throw.  Fi said that the VC can "rock" horizontally which will cause it to make the sound.   

Archived