Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer bottoming out?

vnisme

I am not sure, because I can see that the subwoofer has more travel I believe before it makes this sound.  I do not know why, but on the song Gucci Mane - I get the Bag it makes it sound like a hard physical tapping sound.  I never properly setup my gains because I dont have the equipment so I am most likely clipping but I havent heard any of my other subwoofers make the same sound on the same song.  I am trying to figure out if I am just asking too much out of the subwoofer, or if the clipping causes distortion in the form of the voice coil not traveling linearly which causes this tapping?

Unfortunately your amp doesn't have a subsonic filter.  

Where do you have the Bass EQ set on it?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• 5 months later...

I'm going through the same thing right now. I have a jl w3v3 doing this in a sealed box. It may have an air leak due to the enclosure being reconfigured so many times. I ran it for a couple days before realizing what it was doing. It only happens on one or two songs I had on rotation fortunately. Not sure how long or hard it was bottoming out for and I had my gains set really high during this time. The volume output still seems fine however. Do you think there's a chance that I may have damaged my sub? I was also cooking the coils with too much power during those couple days as well lmao. I got a new proper box coming in a couple days and the stereo shop I bought the sub from will warranty it for me if I screwed it up. I don't want to install a potentially damaged sub if they're down to give me a new one. 

Archived