Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer bottoming out?

vnisme

Hello guys, I just recieved my Fi Xv3 and when I turn it up I can hear a panging sound coming from the dust cap.  Is that the voice coil bottoming out?  I tried to bottom out my Sundown E12 to see if I could get it to make the same sound but it doesnt.  Not sure but I think I read that the suspension of the Sundown wont allow the coil to hit the bottom of the magnet?  The Xv3 doesnt rub when I push the cone down or anything.  

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Box can cause these issues also need more info. Box specs for sub and power running it. I’ve seen a lot of bad boxes cause these issues.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Box is about 35 x 7 x 16 externally.  Which should give me 1.54 cu ft before port displacement.  I put a 4 in diameter  port which is 4.5" diameter and 24" long.  Port should displace .22 cu ft I believe which would give me 1.32 cu ft.  the subwoofer displaces .07 cu ft according to FI so I have 1.25 ct ft net and should be tuned to around 32 hz? I free aired my Sundown E12 and my Pioneer 10 in with only 6mm xmax and tried to make the coil hit the bottom but to no avail.  I am sure I just have my gains and settings a tad too high, but is this what the coil sounds hitting the back? I have it on a alpine MRV-M500, not to sure on the frequency, it happens on Gucci Mane - I get the bag.  Not to sure how low that gets.  

I can pretty much turn up any song and I can hear that panging sound if I turn it up high enough.  I just turned down my settings so I wont hear it at hearing level.  I dont have an oscilloscope so the gain is guaranteed to be too high.  Are some subwoofers just designed so  the coil is able to hit the back? and other subwoofers are limited by their suspension?  I saw another guy on youtube who "bottomed" out his alpha 12s which I heard a similar mechanical noise.

Is this a 10 or 12 . 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Sorry, this is a 10.  According to FI, I have the recommend box if my calculations are correct.  I am guessing that the songs are going below tuning, making the coil hit the back since it is not limited by the suspension?  With the E12 Free air, after a certain point I believe the suspension is maxed out so it doesn't move any further although I turn up the volume which is why I dont hear the same sound?  

Archived