Second Skin Audio

12" sub with 1500rms

airofu

Thanks for the replies. Say I only change the subwoofer, would going Subwoofer a with xmax 13mm - 150oz motor - 85db sensitivity to Subwoofer b with xmax 26mm motor 300oz - 88db sensitivity sound around 3-6db louder given the same box and power/hit lower harder? Or would I probably only notice a difference when pushing the subs to their limits (xmax)?

Example being, say I only upgrade the Skar SDR sub now with 800rms and change it to say a Sundown U12 which is about double the specs, would I notice a difference? I understand a 1500wrms amp later would help.....

10 hours ago, airofu said:

Thanks for the replies. Say I only change the subwoofer, would going Subwoofer a with xmax 13mm - 150oz motor - 85db sensitivity to Subwoofer b with xmax 26mm motor 300oz - 88db sensitivity sound around 3-6db louder given the same box and power/hit lower harder? Or would I probably only notice a difference when pushing the subs to their limits (xmax)?

Example being, say I only upgrade the Skar SDR sub now with 800rms and change it to say a Sundown U12 which is about double the specs, would I notice a difference? I understand a 1500wrms amp later would help.....

Going from an 800 watt sub to a 1500 watt sub without changing anything else is just a likely to have you lose output as it is to gain anything.  Higher power handling subs generally have heavier coils.  The heavier your moving mass is the less efficient a sub is going to be.  Sometimes this is made up for a bit by having a stronger motor, but that doesn't guarantee you are going to end up gaining anything.  

As far as motor weight and sensitivity, those specs are pretty much useless for comparing subwoofers.  Xmax can be important, but only if you are going to be pushing a sub to its excursion limits.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies so far, now I'm just looking at other sub models to confuse myself :) Thinking it might be worth getting a beefier sub for future amp upgrades....but looking at 1500rms for now and a sub that has low FS that will suit a low tune and relatively flat response? It seems the FI Q 12 or SSA ICON seem to be recommend for this? They are also similar subs (same factory?)

Archived