Sonic Electronix

Does anything look wrong here? With amps output.

26 minutes ago, strangeduck said:

also, 60 amp fuse tells me it will never make 1200 watts. 600 maybe at 1ohm, 300 at 2ohm, 150 at 4, 75 at 8, 38 at 16. 

so maybe 50 at 12 ohms?

just ballparking here

The LP amps are different. I forget the term used but that are high current or high voltage. Or some shit.  I dont remember. But they do make rated power easy.  I didnt understand them very well when I talked to ray

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, strangeduck said:

edit: fat finger typing

well, the amp can have high rail voltage but, there is this thing call conservation of energy. so just because the amp cranks up the voltage internally doesnt make it draw less power. So lets say it make 600 watts at 4 ohms like a normal A/B amp would with a 60 amp fuse. you are still following this; 

600 @ 4ohm

300 @ 8ohm

150 @ 16 ohm

so ~ 200 @12 ohm. 

i am sure your amp is making exactly the power it should based on the fusing and the fact you are playing a test tone. on music, it may do better and draw a little less current because music is dynamic and has peaks and valleys.  In my experience mst amplifiers draw about half the fuse rating when playing normal music. 

I think you shold try other frequencies and see what your power output looks like.

Yah maybe ill try a dyno mode on music with the AMM-1. See what that does. Becuase my voltage doesnt dip too much, usually above 13. But on volume 60 with that 40hz burp lol that shit was loud and voltage dropped below 12 i believe. 

AMM-1 test on music. Song is Gucci Mane-potential, shit bumps. I use Tidal and i downloaded Gucci's album (Delusions of Grandeur) in master quality, the jump from a hifi downloaded song to a master song is noticable the bass notes are all stronger and vocals are stronger too. 

Sorry for the breaks in  the video, idk how to edit a video except triming off the end or beginning lol. I was reseeting the song after i adjust the volume for each test. To show how much in increases with the volume. Starts with a 40volume test, then 50, the the last is 58 volume. I think my weak electrical was causing the clipping, voltage dropped too low. The voltage didnt drop that low when i had the hifi downloads. So i guess the masters also cause more draw because of the stronger bass? Idk. 

Also thought it was weird that theres a point that the impedance is at 2.3 ohms? If my subs are wired at 3.7 how did it get down to 2.3? Dont know how the amp felt about that 2ohm, not supposed to go under 4ohm. 

57 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

Do the same test with the windows open

Alright. Ill have to go drive somewhere another day to do that one. I had to keep the windows and doors all closed for testing at home.

Testing some spl numbers before, using my audiocontrol  SA-4100i. I found that my truck got its best numbers at 46hz and with the driver side window down only. But then i found out that the SA-4100i mic will only be able to read up to about 120db, so i couldnt see my max numbers. I think at volume 50 i was at 120 already, so idk how much higher it wouldve gone, but looking to get a SSA APM-2 soon. Getting some numbers to ur system is kinda satisfying, shows a lil personal payoff or gratification for what you've worked on. 

16 hours ago, ToNasty said:

Do the same test with the windows open

I wanted to say this the other day, but didnt want to get into a deep convo regarding impedance plots and graphs. ;)

Also OP, do NOT say "box rise", please say "impedance rise" from now on. Please.  Fact is, is if it sounds good to you, and your not competing,  dont even worry about power being made. You will go down a rabbit hole... trust me. If competing isnt in your future,  dont sweat it, and just want and enjoy your set up. :)

in the end, thata why your doing all this, spending your hard earned cash, time and effort. Fuck all that, throw in your favorite tunes , get stoned, and space cruise your ass off, with a big stupid smile. 

Enjoy mate. Happy jamming 

10 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

I wanted to say this the other day, but didnt want to get into a deep convo regarding impedance plots and graphs. ;)

Also OP, do NOT say "box rise", please say "impedance rise" from now on. Please.  Fact is, is if it sounds good to you, and your not competing,  dont even worry about power being made. You will go down a rabbit hole... trust me. If competing isnt in your future,  dont sweat it, and just want and enjoy your set up. :)

in the end, thata why your doing all this, spending your hard earned cash, time and effort. Fuck all that, throw in your favorite tunes , get stoned, and space cruise your ass off, with a big stupid smile. 

Enjoy mate. Happy jamming 

What if he wants to do some coke instead of get stoned?

Archived