Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer Surround Making Noise

I have a sundown x10 v2 (d4) with the megaroll surround hooked up to a wolfram w3k wired to 2 ohms. It's backed up by a 250 amp JS alt and for now just my shitty lead acid starting battery. The subwoofer is in a 2.0 cu ft vented box tuned to 32.

My issue is that starting at 24 hz at full tilt the subwoofer surround starts wrinkling and making an audible popping sound. I thought I was bottoming out the coil at first but this thing has I think 30mm of xmax and an additional 20mm of clearance from the suspension on top of that before mechanical bottom.

If I free air the sub on the song I was using for reference (DJR Burbans and Lacs 24 hz) the sub doesn't have an issue it throws down the note no problem but as soon as its in the box at full tilt it starts wrinkling the surround and making a noise when the surround pops back into place. If the cd player is at 45 it doesn't make that noise, but as soom as I go to 46 on the deck I get it. For reference I listen to everything else above 24 hz at 50 on the deck no issue. I'm not sure if this is even something I can fix, just wondering if maybe my box is the issue or if it's just something I have to live with. I also want to mention I shrunk the box by half a cu ft to see if that would fix my issue and it's still popping. Maybe it's just the subwoofer unloading below tuning, not really sure. I can always just delete tracks below 24 hz it's not a major deal for me to play this low I'm just genuinely curious if this could be fixed.

Archived