Second Skin Audio

Sundown X15 Enclosure Help?

dialup666

34 minutes ago, DiBo said:

If he wants lower I can adjust it for him. You like them low lows!! I've done a couple at 30hz. Windy as a MF! The lows were incredible. 

I do, but I've heard them tuned 28-29 and 34hz as well n I dont know if you can make them subs not go low lol And yes, they will move some air for sure.

2 hours ago, DiBo said:

35Wx19.75Hx20D 1" birch or MDF ( won't need much bracing at all) 

Port 17Hx4Wx30L

Very top baffle is .75 material for flush mount cut to the outside diameter of the driver. Everything else is 1" material except 45° pieces on the inside corners can be .75 as well. 

.24 driver displacement. 1" port thicknesses.

4.33ft³@33hz ( if you want a lower tuning go 3.75" port width for a 31.86hz tuning but add a decent sz brace or slightly bigger 45's to get the enclosure down to 4.25ft³ or it will be about 4.38ft ( perfectly fine) sub up port up. 

More than I ever expected to get from these forums, thank you so much...  The only issue with this is that I can only really get my hands on 3/4" MDF or Birch anywhere around here (very small town) and that's all I can seem to find.  Any way you could get me down to 3/4 thickness?  Or I could even double up to 1.5"

Sorry for being a hassle lmfao if you can't or don't wanna do it then I understand, I can get it figured out myself from here.  You've been super helpful with this.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Epic said:

This.

4.25 ft and 68-70 in of port area but I'd personally I like it tuned a bit lower, around 30hz

I thought about going lower, around 30 or 31 but it seems very clear that these subs will bang down into some lows even tuned to 33Hz or 34hz hahaha... Really just going to be a loud ass daily setup, so I'm trying to keep as much daily listening capability as I can (even though I'd love to have a setup meant for blowing my head off with low bass someday 😂... one step at a time).

1 hour ago, dialup666 said:

More than I ever expected to get from these forums, thank you so much...  The only issue with this is that I can only really get my hands on 3/4" MDF or Birch anywhere around here (very small town) and that's all I can seem to find.  Any way you could get me down to 3/4 thickness?  Or I could even double up to 1.5"

Sorry for being a hassle lmfao if you can't or don't wanna do it then I understand, I can get it figured out myself from here.  You've been super helpful with this.  Thank you.

For an x series on 2k and under, ¾ braced is perfectly fine. I can design you another. Give me about an hour. I suggest birch for structural integrity but MDF sounds nice. Three-quarter inch MDF will flex like crazy so it would definitely need to be braced better. 1.5" isn't necessary but nice as well. Harder to make tho. 

12 minutes ago, DiBo said:

For an x series on 2k and under, ¾ braced is perfectly fine. I can design you another. Give me about an hour. I suggest birch for structural integrity but MDF sounds nice. Three-quarter inch MDF will flex like crazy so it would definitely need to be braced better. 1.5" isn't necessary but nice as well. Harder to make tho. 

Thank you so much.  I can definitely deal with building plenty of bracing... already had planned for it and bought a couple of dowels.  Assuming I should also prepare for window brace somewhere in there?

18Hx36Wx20D 4.36ft³ ( 45's and bracing will bring it to around 4.25ft³

Port 15.75x4.125x31L .75 material. 67.9in² port area.

Two top baffles (36x20) .75 material.

.24 driver displacement, .75 port thickness, 3 common port walls ( port to the far side of the enclosure) 

Tuned @ 31.77hz. bracing and 45's will raise slightly to around 32hz. 

15 hours ago, DiBo said:

18Hx36Wx20D 4.36ft³ ( 45's and bracing will bring it to around 4.25ft³

Port 15.75x4.125x31L .75 material. 67.9in² port area.

Two top baffles (36x20) .75 material.

.24 driver displacement, .75 port thickness, 3 common port walls ( port to the far side of the enclosure) 

Tuned @ 31.77hz. bracing and 45's will raise slightly to around 32hz. 

Build will be underway soon.  Got a couple of things to get my hands on in another Home Depot run... Might look into some allthread bracing in lieu of dowels.  I'll take build pics and keep it all updated here for everyone's future enjoyment haha.

Thank you so much.  You've been so much more helpful than you had to be.  Never heard anything louder than 3 Mofo 12's on a shitty 5000w Boss amp in a prefab so I'm extremely excited to hear how this setup is gonna sound with this enclosure.

5 hours ago, dialup666 said:

Build will be underway soon.  Got a couple of things to get my hands on in another Home Depot run... Might look into some allthread bracing in lieu of dowels.  I'll take build pics and keep it all updated here for everyone's future enjoyment haha.

Thank you so much.  You've been so much more helpful than you had to be.  Never heard anything louder than 3 Mofo 12's on a shitty 5000w Boss amp in a prefab so I'm extremely excited to hear how this setup is gonna sound with this enclosure.

You're going to be loud and low. Probably play from 26hz-50hz with pretty good authority. It'll start falling off after 50 a little bit. 

Archived